Camper for deer camp?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Camper for deer camp??

Im thinking about getting a camper (24ft up to 27ft) and use it as a mobil deer camp. Question, how is the heat in these untis for rifle season, are they allowed at SGL. Ill post this also on rv section.
any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Camper for deer camp??

We used a 30 ft travel trailer for several years , lots of good times. used a small kerosun for heat and a small generator to keep the battery charged . we always camped on SFL , dont believe camping is allowed on SGL.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 PM

I really can't tell you. Thinking short term heat might not be to bad but our pastor had a relative living in a camper in his yard one winter. They put straw bales all around the outside to keep the air from going underneath it. Pastor told me that it cost them more to heat that camper than it did his house. He said (and when you think about it it is right) those walls are so thin and light and not much insulation could even fit in there so they are not very well insulated. They do also make some nice propane heaters that could help if you had the room for one. The one we have has three panels on it. If it is cold you can turn it up to high and run all three panels and it throws out a pile of heat. Once it gets warmed up you can turn it down to low or one panel. It requires no electricity to run. It really saves us on the heat bill here in the house but we have a place where I can fill two 20 pound tanks for $23 and some change.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 12:08 AM

Heat usually isn't the issue. Keeping the undercarriage warm enough so that water lines and holding tanks don't freeze is the issue. Most campers are 3 season. They do make 4 season campers where the underside is covered with a rubber membrane like a rubber roof. The heat generated from the furnace duct work keeps it warm enough to keep from freezing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i just saw a camper that base was surrounded by bails of hay..i think it was under the camper...definately keep the air out from under it

Come and try to take my guns!.you might meet my precious metal collection!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There used to be guys at the front gate of a SFL road. Started w/ a slide in and graduated to a trailer b/4 growing to a self-propelled unit. They haven't been there for a few years now.

I also see campers in a parking lot for a trail system inside the SFL. You need a permit from the local SFL office.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys for input. Im just kicking the idea around. It would be a base camp, I would rough it with water, jug it in with gallons of water, use as needed. Just use generator,propane,batt at nite to cook,slleep
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:20 PM

If using a generator, I would recommend an electric heater to help supplement the propane heat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page