Land purchase agreement form? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Land purchase agreement form?

Does anyone know where to find a simple land purchase agreement? I looked at a lot on Google but most were from other states or stamped with "Sample". My parents are hoping to buy another piece of ground but the seller mentioned waiting until the new year to do so. Along with putting a deposit on it something will need to be in writing for them to wait this long. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 PM
The Man

Re: Land purchase agreement form?

A local realtor should be able to fix you up.....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Staples office store has a small section including legal contracts. I have used them occasionally. Cheap and easy, just remember to be careful if its " AS IS " type of transaction. Most have a section to write in stipulations. Write in " Subject to clear and unencumbered Title ". That lets you out of the deal if there is a lien against it or pending legal action. Remember, CYA !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

That's great info Joe the Logger. Thanks for your help

This land isn't with a realtor and we're not talking to one. We've got burnt in the past.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 PM

Yep, staples, Office Max, etc sell blank legal forms.

Generally such contracts are written like options. In exchange for the deposit the seller agrees to sell and the buyer agrees to buy a piece of property for X amount of dollars. It will provide that settlement must occur within a certain time, what happens if the seller can't provide good title, what happens if the buyer fails to go to settlement, etc. They really need to see an attorney before any sales contract is signed. There are things, like title searches, escrow holders, settlement agent.

Contingencies, such as cloudy titles, liens, easements, rights of way, etc. What happens if any of those pop up. Who will hold the deposit? If it is undeveloped, does it have any property line problems, how is it zoned, are there specific uses reserved. Who will prorate the taxes, utilities, etc.
A lawyer can head off many problems, even if they just have him help to fill in the blanks.

Blank forms are usually for residential property, and many of the provisions won't apply. And by all means don't let them take a quit claim deed. A couple hundred dollars now, is far better than thousands of dollars and years of problems or litigation later.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 11:19 PM

My wife and I are in the same situation right now as well. Im actually going to a lawyer tomm morn to have a contract written up. Our situation involves 20 acres and a house but its contingent on the sale of our house and who knows how long that's gonna take. We are going to give the current owner a considerable advance of money to hold the property for us until we sell ours. Best to have a lawyer involved to create or proof read. Only gonna be around $100 he said...we shall see tomm
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

If you start the process now wouldnt it take a few months to complete? Thus being after the new year.

Camp Longbeard, Cross Fork, Potter County
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Part of the Community

I am a realtor and if you do not want to use a realtor then hire an attorney or put a small deposit you are willing to lose
Gone are the days of a hand shake
There are to many things that can go wrong in the sale of real estate to trust it to a 20 dollar blank agreement from the local office supply
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 12:50 AM
Sage

Totally concur. Get a lawyer. The price you will pay is small compared to what can happen. As stated, gone are the days of the Ma and Pa land deals.

Protect yourself.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess I should clarify my advice. The Staples form is just to get a basic agreement on paper, a laymans " Sales Agreement". Of course you need to close with an attorney or Title co., but this gets your handshake on paper. I have bought a fair amount of RE, and lost some handshake deals to greed. Having that on paper puts you in the fight if someone gets sneaky. It has aslo been my experience 100% that an attorney closed deal is cheaper than a Title Co. A lot of people don't realize the attorney can do it all, less hands in the pot at the end.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page