Priceless Weekend - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Priceless Weekend

This past spring I built a small 10x14 addition on to my 20x12 cabin. I never had a shower so I decided this year to do so. Of course that had to go with a hot water tank I never had before either. I plumbed my dry sink at same time also replacing old electric panel box to new 100 amp box. I put my double bed in addition where shower and hot water tank is along with some shelving to hang clothes. I only live 50 minutes from cabin and all this year just drove it hunting and spending the day. Last Monday I had tv installed thru dish network good deal on new service. So last night a had a million dollar evening spending first night there. I took a shower there for first time and swore is was a million dollar shower. Guess I was thinking of all the hard work and money spent it all came to this. I than settled in to watch my evening soaps of Gold rush and Bering sea gold on discovery channel. It was so different last night after having this cabin for 20 years that I could shower and watch tv. It just seemed like a different place. Than I though the last time I watched tv on this property was with my grandmother in early 80's since my cabin sits on family home place. I hope everyone enjoyed there camp this weekend as much as I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 AM
The Man

Re: Priceless Weekend

Cool story, There is certainly something that gives a inter peace about staying at camp, and a hot shower after a day in the woods.....then relaxing at camp is something special.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

There is nothing like sitting down at the end of the day and enjoying the fruits of your hard labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Sage

Sounds to me like you did a great job........
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The first camp I was a member of in Potter County did not have any running water or tv. We did have the luxury of an oversized outhouse with a stove. We would heat up some water every few days and take a camp shower over our wash basins. Everyone had their own with their name on it hanging on the wall. I remember thinking, "What did I get myself into" at 12 years old when I first visited camp. We would listen to whatever radio station we could dial in. Every time I walk out of the shower at the "new" camp I say "that shower was awesome". Been doing it every time for the last 10 years. The guys I invite up think I'm nuts. But they've never stayed in a hunting camp without a shower. Most of the time I just play the radio and read books when I'm at camp at night. The guys always ask why I'm not watching TV. I just tell them that it is just something I'm used to doing at camp. I very rarely read at home, but always read books at camp. That's just what ya did at the old camp at night.

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Outofstater,
Congrats on the upgrade of you cabin, now you will probably spend a lot more time at camp. Hope you have lots of fun.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:53 PM

When I started hunting, it was out of a slide in truck camper. Baths were out of a pot of hot water out back. I eventually bought my own place. My "running water" was a gravity system I pumped water to out of the creek behind camp. Baths were a couple gallons of hot water in the tub. When My son was born, my wife insisted we needed a well. I didn't think we did but of course, I relented. I now have a shower. I have to say I don't hate coming in after a long day of hunting and jumping in a hot shower. We also added Direct TV. But we rough it cause its not hi def.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well said, PC!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Ron, I sure worked hard at it. I had a new home built 7 years ago and was around the operation. I knew with the space I had I have to be on my game. It used to be walk in to my cabin and welcome to my bed. No place to put anything and just couldn't keep it neat. Now with this small addition I can place everything after little thought. In there first is shower, then my hot water tank. I have the hot water tank sitting on a pedestal so I can drain it after season in to my shower via short hose. Under neath the pedestal is room enough for tools, nails, screws, etc. I than framed the side of it and on front have a bi fold door. In side on inner wall gives me more space extra guns, towels, and vaccum cleaner and is all hidden. Got some closet made shelving to hang clothes along with a small medicine cabinet which holds a lot of nik nacks. Older part of cabin I got 2 more smaller wall cabinets unfinished from Lowes serves good purpose. Inside of bathroom lots of wall space going to waste so I did more shelving. Another closet made rack was installed with a separate coat hook. My microwave sits on a small rolling cart but underneath has 2 shelves for pots and pans. My addition I insulated just like a new home, dry walled and painted. Flooring I got a piece of vinyl from Lowes that was very heavy. Its looks nice and is not really that cold to walk on like you would think. Guess ill have to take some pics and post soon.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Sage

Sounds really neat....good thinking and utilizing space...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page