Muzette-FOREST COUNTY - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Muzette-FOREST COUNTY

Hi guys, after starting a new dream job I haven't had anytime to make it to camp this fall, and have really missed my two annual trips up there.....am thinking of doing it for rifle season, how are the deer numbers around there this year?

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 AM

Re: Muzette-FOREST COUNTY

Numbers compared to what? Last year or a decade ago?

They've been pretty steady the last few years(we hunt Lewis Rd a fair amount). There's huntable numbers of deer in the area, but it's nothing like it was 15 years ago when you'd almost trip over them.

Nobody will listen to me when I tell them this, but go find a clear-cut. Get INSIDE the thing, find where deer seem to be moving and climb one of the few trees, shoot a buck. You won't see another hunter inside that cut unless they drive it.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Banned

Not sure about Lewis Rd, is that rd number 212 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:06 PM
New Arrival

If you are heading away from rt. 66 ... Lewis Rd. is about 2 miles on the right from 212..the road bears to the left and Lewis goes straight ... If you come to the old cemetery you have gone to far. Believe 212 is what we always called firetower rd.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Yes, it is 212! On Google Earth it's also called Newtown Rd and Muzette Rd, but at the end of the road the sign definitely says Lewis Rd. It goes back quite a ways to a gate(that I've never seen opened) and you can take a left just before the gate and go down the valley quite a ways til it dead ends. That big clear-cut at the back is Collins Pines DMAP #336....I've seen some good bucks in there, killed a few of them. Taken lots of doe out of there too. There's laurel and oak surrounding the cut. Heck, I'll give the coordinates to the tree I climb in there if you want 'em! We don't hunt it anymore very much at all as we've got better private land in northern Clarion and southern Forest counties. I've been all over that cut over the past five years....both deer and bear hunting.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Banned

Jason not sure about the clear cut but I now where your talkin at the gate and dead end road. Was parked at the dead end on 1st day of squirrel season this year. Loaded with black squirrels there. Saw 5 different buck ( none were shooters) and 2 bear coming up from the creek. Used to hunt there all the time but not so much anymore.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Banned

Ive never seen that gate open. 25 years ago I shot my first turkey back that gated road.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:53 PM

The clear-cut is on the right just before the gate. There's a road on the right that follows along the entire one edge of it as well. Yellow gate...open in the fall.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 PM
New Arrival

Sorry about the road mix up ...Do you know if Lewis rd. had a firetower on it many years ago ... Remember getting a few of those black squirrels back in the 60's. Glad to see that they are still there.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:29 PM

I think there was a tower back there somewhere, IIRC. I've never seen it, but I think it's on the actual quadrangle map. If I remember to dig it out I'll let you know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page