Ny hunting camp experience - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Ny hunting camp experience

Well about 2 months ago I was offered a chance to split 123 acres with a friend of mine who just wanted the fields for hay and for hunting so I decided why not havering my own place is so much easier especially because I take my 3 kids out with me but me and my friend have a agreement that for other hunter to hunt they must have permission from us both well a mutual friend was given permission and is know bringing his family up to hunt with only consent well today I get told that a neighbor seen me with my kids walking through the woods and said that I was on his property course up here orange is not required so I dress my kids in a bright blue for my sons and pink for my daughter. Well this neighbor tells my friend that he almost shot at my son because he thought it was a bluejay course I did confront my friend because with my kids I generally sit in a blind and I walk the logging roads which one in logging road skirts his property I know how I handled this I just want to see what others would have done or would do and well for know on my kids will be wearing orange on my own property

I make memories one day at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Re: Ny hunting camp experience

This has all taken place during the ny gun season for deer

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well, I had to read it 3 times since it's a long running paragraph so I think I understand your delemia now.

1. Go tell this mutual frind that he is NOT allowed to bring his family up to hunt unless you and the other part owner give permission to do so. Basically you are reinforcing the original rule about allowing other friends to hunt your property.
2. Verify who your neighbor saw since I think if I read it corectly it may not have been you. Once you verify who it may have been supposely walking on his property get all the concerned parties together and hash it out.
3. Just because it's not required, I'd have some orange on during gun season especially if I have my kids with me. I'd have my kids in orange head to toe.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Eight point thank you and yes I am bad when it comes to writing but I did verify that it was me and my 2 of my kids however the neighbor was siting 60 yards off the property line and I was walking down the logging road that is on my property just the property line is 10 yards from logging road which I ha asked my friend that to set up a meeting with the neighbor so I can voice my opinion to him for not knowing the property line grant it I will admit that I myself am not perfect but he knew that he was 60 yards of the property line and should be aware that I use my roads and if it becomes an issue then I will inform him that I he harvests an animal on my property that I will insure that I get him for trespassing and my kids will be in orange for know on when I go up there with them course I was told that I shouldn't even take them up with me which will not happen.

Also I did confront both my friends the one who owns the other half have permission and assumed that I would be fine with it which I told him I would have been fine with it if I was asked because it's the principle. Also I vented and warned that if need be I will have my half that we agreed on already surveyed off and post it for any future miss communication which I will probably do anyways

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Sage

There's NO WAY my kid would be walking through there without wearing blaze orange.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hey George,
I have found that as I get older my corners become more rounded. What I mean by that is that I am becoming less confrontational and more diplomatic unless provoked.
I find that if you can keep people on point with the coversation at hand the outcome has more of a chance to come out positive for everyone. If folks come off as jerks and what not the coversation takes on a totally different tone that is hard to come back from and the ending is less postive if you know what I mean.
In both of your instances I would take the high road and feel out the others responce before I took a more hard line approach. This is also a good example if your kids are on hand for the conversation.
Hunting season is a funny time of year that makes ordinary people crazy with the prospect of harvesting a magazine cover sized buck and they go out of their way sometimes to do it. That would involve treaspassing,taking advantage of anothers generousity and drawing lines in the sand as they say.
The folks you are involved with are your freiends and neighbors. It's best to try and salvage the situation for future good times instead of putting up a steel curtain.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 PM
The Man

I don't believe there is a season on Blue Jays.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Me either and I don't think I high powered rifle would be the method if there was one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page