Took the plunge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Took the plunge

Well I'v been looking for land for retirement and hunting for about 1.5 years now. I wanted something secluded. Well I found it 10 acres in Sullivan County at Loyalsock. Wow what a beautiful area. There is nothing behind my acreage except state forreat and game land for about 2 miles. I have trail cam picts of 2 8 point bucks, 4 point, turkeys. I have set up a trailer as a camp and put up 3 ladder stands. I find myself day dreaming about getting up there, starting a fire in the pit I dug and relaxing. Next year is scheduled for a "rec log cabin" to stay in.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=World...s+end&t=h&z=14

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 12:47 AM
The Man

Re: Took the plunge

I bought up there 12 yrs ago. You will love the area. Plenty of deer no matter what ya hear! My camp kills good bucks and plenty of doe every year. Grouse is good, Turkey Great, and Bear is flat out excellent. There are bears everywhere this year. Trout fishing is also top notch, and it gets better as the spring progresses. Great festivals starting with the bow hunters fest, flaming foliage and many more! ENJOY!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 01:14 AM

I'm in the same boat.bought 5 acres in elk county last year put trailer on it.we walk out and were fifty feet from state game land pics of bears bobcats coyote deer elk turkey eagles. contemplating whether to build on our own or maybe have the Amish build cabin.cut road 1000 ft back in & put holding tank & two sheds on top of mountain.don't know if I'll ever see the end product but I'll have a good time tryin.

We're all here because we're not all there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Well my first hunting season at my camp.
1. no bear.
2. all the deer that I saw BEFORE the season vanished. That right I didn't not see one deer!.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

you didn't GET any or SEE any? Im sure next year will be different, hang in there!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Part of the Community

Congrats to you and sorry to hear your first year was a bust. I have land a bit north of you near Hills Creek State Park and am exploring the idea of adding a cabin for this coming summer. The area is amazing and I'm sure you'll get into game before to long. In the mean time sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

He ate my feeder
Craig
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 AM
The Man

Ha, I've seen it before. The small piece of acreage isn't the best camping, hunting, fishing land , or the best piece of land ever invented.
But you might have a piece of public ground nearby for some of the better pieces of ground. And you don't have to drive one, two, three hours to get there each day.
Living close at camp, you could have five different pieces of ground to hunt. And a nice warm fireplace at the end of the day.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwill
Well my first hunting season at my camp.
1. no bear.
2. all the deer that I saw BEFORE the season vanished. That right I didn't not see one deer!.

Thicken up the land. When the shooting starts, deer will head to the thickets for safety.

Another thing to consider, an acre of open woods usually has around 250 lbs an acre in mast. A clear cut will usually provide up to 2500 lbs an acre of fresh browse for up to 7 years. In comparison, a food plot has somewhere around 4,000 lbs an acre in food. So not only will you draw in the deer because of the cover, you'll be providing them food as well.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:29 PM
The Man

Could be worse. Could be seeing nothing in Delaware. At least your in the mountains.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page