Lady bug infestation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Lady bug infestation

Last weekend up at camp the ladybugs were swarming like crazy inside and out of the cabin, was wondering if anyone has had this issue and what they did to get it under control... Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 PM
The Man

Re: Lady bug infestation

I heard they were released on purpose in the past to eat the Gypsy Moth larvae.
Whats crazzy is even in the dead of winter we would get up to camp and it would be colder inside than out.
Once the camp warmed up it was like they were coming out of the woodwork.
Best solution I found was to just go around the camp with a vacume cleaner hose atatchment and susk em all up.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

We had them in our house for 2-3 winters in a row... not much you can do... just vac them up and wait for the cycle to end. They will eventually go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Banned

Never heard od lady bugs being released to destroy Gypsy moths, they did release a wasp that kills the larva but that was a long time ago. For the OP, were they red or more orange? The orange ones bite and they are from Asia and not desireable.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think this is what JohnS is speaking of: Asian Lady Beetle
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 PM

I've had to deal with them up north at my place in Potter County -- in fact many people have and are still having problems with them.

I solved the problem ahead of time the past few years by spraying Ortho Home Defense around each door and window - and any other place they can get through - and they can squeeze through a paper-thin crack. Open the doors and windows and spray the inside frame, and all sides of the doors and windows. I have had them come in, but are dead six inches inside the door jams.

IF THEY ARE ALREADT INSIDE the camp, use a few cans of insect fogger, and it will kill them all if you use enough to handle the whole place - i.e. living/dining room; hallway - close enough to get the fog inside bedrooms. One thing I did learn is don't cover items with wool blankets - use sheets or plastic over kitchen areas. When they die from the fogger, they grab on with their legs, and it takes a long time to pick or brush the dead ladybugs off the fuzzy blankets.

I've seen very bad infestations in camps, homes and businesses. And yes - they were released (Penn State) to ward off the wolly adelgid aphids that attack the hemlocks. Aphids are the primary food source of lady bugs!

Good Luck. Fog to kill them, then use the Home Defense spray to keep the rest of them out. And next year, spray the place in September before they get ahead of you!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is what is suppose to be used by the professionals to keep the stink bugs out. I don't know if it would work on the Asian bugs....but it may be worth investigating. You apparently dilute this, spray it on the outside of your home and the bugs can't take it. So, apparently they don't come inside. Hey....maybe they go to your neighbors?

Bug Spray
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 PM
The Man

Asian beetles

I get them really bad every year and have an exterminator spray the outside of my place around October 1 every year....takes care of the problem quickly and the chemical also kills spiders, cluster flies, etc....well worth the cost....
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 PM

Re: Asian beetles

Had pest control here this afternoon to spray for the "ladybugs". Our house is light colored and this time of year you can't place your hand anywhere on the siding in the afternoon without crushing half a dozen bugs.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Asian beetles

We had them at our camp in WV for a few years in a row. We would just shop vac them up every time we where there. After a couple years they just went away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page