Family Trip To Camp. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Family Trip To Camp.

This forum seemed to be a little slow so I thought I would give a little recap of my weekend. I made what may be the last trip of the season with the wife and my 3 and 4 year olds. We pulled into camp in Sinnamahoning, Cameron County on Thursday afternoon. The first thing I noticed was four rows down and two rows deep of firewood were stolen out of my stack. I spent two days cutting and hand splitting some large blow downs so we would have wood to burn during the fall and hunting seasons. They did leave some, so their truck must have been full.Spent the rest of the day re-fueling my anger every time somebody stopped to say Hi.
Friday we fished the dam most of the day and just hung out playing with the kids. My 3 year old was hammering bluegill left and right and doing pretty much everything by himself. I have to take them off hook to spare them the brute force of a impatient boy. Campfire and smores capped the night and everybody slept well!
Saturday was one of the best family times at camp I can remember! We started the day with a two mile walk on the nature trail in the state park. We stopped a lot to inspect every caterpiller and pile of scat along the trail. Both the kids love talking and laughing about poop. The started identifying each new discovery proceeded by the animal that left it... "dad, raccoon poop" "dad, deer poop" "dad, dog poop. Hey they should have brought a bag to clean that up!" That one made me laugh.
After a break for lunch and a short romp on the playground we headed over the mountain via Brooks Run Road. Both kids were out cold in the car before we were a mile in. The dirt road is just not as fun in the minivan as it is in the truck. We stopped in Emporium for some spraypaint to mark whats left of my wood pile then headed to Pizza Palace for dinner. As we pulled in there were people lining the streets. It was the home coming parade for Cameron County School. We watched as the kids danced to the marching band and scooped up candy from every fire truck and police car.
I had never been there before but Pizza Palace was great. I recommend the cajun chicken pizza. It didn't sound good but my wife really wanted to try it and I must say I'm glad we did. On the way home along PA 120 we saw two massive Bull elk. For one of them I got lucky and saw him coming down the gas line after two cows and was able to stop before he ran out in front of us. They walked 10 feet in front of the vehicle as they came off the embankment.
Later that night we were all sitting around with the neighbors at the camp fire when 2 small buck and a doe came out to feed under a chestnut tree less than 25 yards from us. They would look up at us on occassion but really paid us no attention. As we were listening to the kids sing songs in between bites of smores I heard the neighbor say "oh jeez". I looked over to see a 7x7 bull elk walking directly at us. He stopped at about 30 yards and altered his course to the chestnut tree. The deer had their fill and took off while the elk stuck around for about 5 min. and then walked off into the woods. What an amazing sight!
The weather was beautiful all weekend and we got to spend time as a family making some great memories. My hand was cramped after writing some very detailed camp journal entries. I hope the weather and my work schedule cooperate so we can get maybe one more family trip to camp before hunting seasons start.
Anybody else make it to camp this weekend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 03:30 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Family Trip To Camp.

Sounds like an awesome trip!! The kid sports schedule is killing my weekends. I probally won't be back to camp until bear season.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM
The Man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 AM

I'm glad you had a good weekend with the family. When I have a wood pile incident like yours I hope some old poor disabled grandma had to to take to heat her house for the winter. It make me feel a little better. Work weekend coming up at our camp.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM

Sounded like an awesome trip!!! Sorry about the wood just can not figure that out.......well yeah I can lazy scum....you should get one more trip before the weather changes to much.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was up just to cut up some downed trees this Sat. As hard as I worked I would be seriously peeved if someone stole my wood. I don't understand that one bit.
A camp trip with the kids are the best ones!!! I cannot wait for me and the family to head up for the 3Fs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:17 PM

stealing firewood..... hmm, I heard about a guy that was having a problem with his firewood dissapearing. He bored out a piece, filled it with black powder and wood puttyed the hole shut. Apparently he found his theif that winter ..... or at least that was the story.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

We got to camp also. We had a work weekend and the weather was perfect. Sunday we packed up my truck and we all hopped in the other trucks and drove down to bottom of the mountain for a hike. After the hike we headed back to camp and surprised a bear getting into a bag of trash on the cargo carrier. We quickly realized there were several bears also on the other side of the road. There was a total of 5 bears visiting us. I was able to only get a few bad pictures from the pipeline.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like a good weekend except for the wood. Just at the pizza palace last weekend. We try to stop when we are up there.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

Made my last trip to camp before hunting season this weekend too. I'm outside of Wharton. Saw a good many deer and 3 flocks of turkey. Plus we went to Benezette Saturday evening and saw plenty of bugling, fighting bulls! A great weekend for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page