Compression Fit Copper Pipe Valves - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Compression Fit Copper Pipe Valves

Got to do a minor alteration to the plumbing at camp. I am by no means a plumber, I will just get that out of the way LOL.....

We had a water pressure issue at camp and had a plumber come out to investigate. Finally found out that the valve coming in from the street(in the basement) where we shut off the water when we close down camp had crapped out and clogged the pipe. At this point, the plumber had already replaced the valve 4-5 feet further into the basement.

Now I need to put a new valve in on that line closer to the outside wall to prevent freezing. Hate to have the plumber back out to do it.

Are the push fit or compression fit ball valves any good? Any tips for installing them without messing it up? Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks for any input......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
The Man

Re: Compression Fit Copper Pipe Valves

Compression fit valves work great! just finished a hospital job, where the plumbers used nothing but Press fit copper.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

g3,

If you go the compression fitting route, don't overtighten it.

You might also want to look at a Sharkbite valve. Very simple to install. Just make sure you listen for the "click".

Cheers,
Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Sage

Use a compression ball valve (the kind with a lever that travels 90 degrees) for the replacement. They tend to give longer service than stop & waste or gate valves.

If the new valve occupies more space than the old one, easier chore. Ball valve bodies are generally longer than a S&W or gate valve, so that's often a gimme.

Calculate the insertion depth on each end of the new valve, then "cut out" the correct area of the existing pipe valve.

Assuming it's copper pipe, debur the cut ends, polish the insertion depth +, with crocus cloth or emery paper, wipe it clean and install the new valve and parts. Slide the nuts/ferrules over the pipe ends first. Nut first, then ferrule.

Hold the valve body with one wrench, while tightening the ferrule nut with another wrench. Make the nuts pretty snug, but do not crush them to death.

If the connections drip a bit once pressurized, snug 'em a bit more until the drip stops.

Had a customer many years ago, that wanted another "isolation" valve installed near his hot water boiler. Chronic worry wart about everything.

He wanted to shut the water off to the rest of the house when they went away, but wanted the fill valve on the boiler to have water.

Pain to drain things down to sweat another valve in, so I used a compression ball valve, which upset him when they got back from vacation and he saw the new valve. His wife said he checked it several times a week for months, to make sure it hadn't started dripping yet.

Had lots of fun with him about that, over the next 10 or 12 years. And it never leaked a drop.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 01:25 AM

Sharkbite is a little pricey but you can just push it on if you have enought room to get it into place.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 AM

Sharkbites. I use these on my job,there is no worry of fire,from a torch,no stripped threads or crushed compression rings and,if you buy the little plastic tool,of which is cheap,you can remove them.
They may be pricey,but how much will the plumber charge you?

WILLY P
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys. That tells me what I need to know.

I appreciate the feedback....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 AM

Just installed new spout and copper supply lines for a Roman Tub in my master bath this past saturday. I know how to solder copper, but after ripping out the cedar frame that I built around it 18 years ago, I found that the pipe work was much easier then than it was currently... which is almost always the case I decided to go SharkBite, and WOW, what a product. I installed 2 quarter-turn SharkBite ball valves since the old wheel valves were looking shabby, and two inline 1/2" SharkBite couplers. Yeah the fittings are somewhat pricier, but worth their weight by not having to blow a torch in that small space around that roman tub. As said though, you will need some give in the copper to fit them.... BUT, those things also work with plastic, so plastic conversion is also an option. FANTASTIC product is a SharkBite.

I gots to admit though. I had that "Ob boy, here we go!!!" thought before putting water to the supply lines, but.... no leaks.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM

+1 for the SharkBite

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM

+2 sharkbite

Are you compressing on pipe or tubing?

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page