Roof Coating For Mobile Home and Accessories??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Roof Coating For Mobile Home and Accessories???

We are going to coat our mobile home roof. It has a flat metal roof, I suppose is aluminum or tin? What is the best roof coating for this? I would rather buy the good stuff than spend less and pay sooner if you know what I meen. Also, What else do we need such as prep, what to apply it with, etc? Oh, it`s a 10`x40` mobile home. Thanks guys.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Sage

Re: Roof Coating For Mobile Home and Accessories???

Did that a few times at camp, we always got the roof coating at AGWAY, and it was good..Should need about 3 - 5 gal buckets ,ours was 12x65
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 PM

Octagon, my camp is a mobile as well and had a water leak just prior to me buying it. They coated the roof with tar and then framed out the sides and trusses. Covered it with tin and haven't had a problem since. I have heard guys say to make sure to leave room for air to get between the new and old roof to avoid condensation issues and heat issues. Another bonus is you will sleep like a baby when it rains because of the noise it makes. I added a covered porch and used the same system. Use a good amount of TEC screws and if you happen to miss a stud, leave the screw in and set another or it will get a leak where you missed. Good luck with the project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 AM

Home depot has a silver coat that we used for our camp. Says it is for Mobile home roofs on the bucket. I've used it on row-homes in the past as well. Works great and we've had no issues. Price was around $60/5gallon

It's a black metal bucket.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Get yourself a stiff tar brush with handle, and buy 5 gallon bucket of Aluminum Roof cement. Any box store, or hardware store worth their salt will have it. DO NOT cut the stuff with a solvent, keep it thick. Although thoroughly mix it out of a can. In a prior chapter of my life, I played the part of full-time redneck, and lived in a single-wide with an aluminum roof for many years. I would do the roof EVERY year.

I might add. My bigger concern was the aluminum wiring and not the aluminum roof in my 1967 "summer of love" abode.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
New Arrival

scrape off any loose coating on roof. use fibered aluminum roof coating. the warmer the coating is the easier it will go on. make sure you have bush and handle everyone helping.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Buy the good stuff, they'll sell you the brush. One tip I was given back when I had to do this was to put an extra coat on the seams. As for prep, it's simple but important. Make sure thr roof is clean, dry and has no loose pieces of old coating.

Best thing I ever did was spend a little money and put a steel roof-over on the thing. NO MORE SLOPPING IN THE SILVERY TAR!

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Part of the Community

The "silver" stuff is elastomeric coating. I've used it. It works very well. Pressure wash the trailer roof and then coat with a roller.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Agree the silver goo is good. If you go up Friday afternoon, brush a good coat on all the seams and quit.
Saturday do the whole shebang ! The extra coat on the seams makes the job last a few more years.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonM
Did that a few times at camp, we always got the roof coating at AGWAY, and it was good..Should need about 3 - 5 gal buckets ,ours was 12x65
X2
Always had good results with Agway silver coating just make sure its mixed well.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page