Camp Insurance - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Camp Insurance

Received the AllState bill yesterday for camp and it increased from $723 to $1247. only thing i can see they changed the distance from 4 miles from the cabin to 16 miles from the cabin. Camp is in Wyoming Co. Anybody have a good insurance company to deals with cabins? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM

Re: Camp Insurance

My insurance is through Milleville mutual, it is 570 for 65,000 of camp coverage plus liability. The problem for me is that there is not a vandalism clause in this coverage nor do they offer one. The insurance agent said that camps are tough to insure reasonably because of the remote location to fire hydrants/departments and if some one would want quick cash the first thing they set fire to is "the camp", but it is a needed evil. That said Millville covers camps you just need to find a local agent that carries them to get a quote. Good luck hope you find something that fits your needs.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 PM

We have State Farm and no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Have been insured for only about 1 year at the longest...many insurance companies have sent out an agent and then promptly dropped us for that exact reason....no way to access water and no way fire equipment can get up our road

I support sunday hunting and I support HUSH
4D,5C and 5D
2nd Admendment Defender
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

we use state farm and it just keeps going up. we're up to something like 750 now.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 02:25 PM

I have State Farm we have 62,000 in structure, and 46,000 in personal contents at 478$ We never had an issue obtaining the policy. We did have to take pics of the building, breaker box, and heat source and email them to our agent. We have multiple policies with him. Life, 3 cars, and our homeowners all on one payment. I believe that helps to keep our premiums lower as well.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 PM
dce
Sage

In the last year or so,most insurance companies started using a system that tells you exactly how far you are from the first responing fire station.If it's more than 5 miles,it's bad,if it's more than 10 miles,it's real bad.The good news is,sometimes the system is wrong and it can be appealed.You're Allstate agent should be able to do that for you by calling county control.On top of that,every town,city and twp is given an iso rating by the state,based on several factors.Last year,they changed the iso rating in many areas and that will impact premiums.Pretty much every company in Pa has generated huge losses with property insurance over the past few years.It's so bad,some companies stopped writing business in this state and some non-renewed their existing business.Two years ago,Nationwide non-renewed everyone that had a manufatured home.I own an insurance agency and I see what comes in in prmium and what goes out in claims.It's very challenging in Pa right now.There's been a lot of changes and none of them have been good.A smaller mutual company that doesn't have the exposure may be able to do better.However,if your camp is more than 10 miles from a fire station or on a road that isn't accessible year round,you may have a problem getting it.

I'm originally from Wyoming county.Where is your camp located?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 PM

17 Furball,
I insure both my homes with the same company, and get a big break doing so, you definitely need to shop around for a better insurer, no need for that kind of cost for your camp.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have the house, 3 cars, cabin, boat, and quads with the same insurance company for about 20 years. we have never shopped insurance until now.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Sage

Went through that haggle with Liberty Mutual many years ago, because my parents listed the distance from the nearest VFD at 9 miles. At the time, they had LM for their homeowners and a separate policy for the cabin.

The actual distance is about 7 miles. BUT since most of that is good, paved road and traffic is non-existant, the VFD response time to where the cabin is, can be measured in less than 15 minutes. Shanty is only about 100' from the twp. gravel road, 3/8 mile from the paved road on which firetrucks can roll quickly coming from town.

Insurance companies should realize that distances out in the country aren't the same as distances in populous areas, for several reasons. No traffic jams to deal with; Few, if any red light intersections; People still have sense enough to yield to emergency vehicles, etc. So they get there very quickly, compared to congested areas.

LM would not continue the policy when I bought my mom out and the cabin became mine alone, so I went with Erie. No problems so far, all these years later. I now have all of my insurance with Erie. Used to have policies with LM, Erie and Allstate.

Told the agent what the actual distance is and that response time is "real world", since the last two times the VFD came up for vehicle fires (one Freightliner truck in driveway, one farm tractor out in a field), it took 'em less than 15 minutes to arrive and extinguish each fire. Two firemen showed up with the firetruck to put the tractor fire out, had it handled within minutes of pulling in.

Last time there was an actual structure fire in the area, half dozen guys showed up with the truck and knocked it down within a half hour.

Erie wanted to know my heat source, so it's listed as baseboard elec. w/wood heat backup. I told them about the 10' of SS double wall chimney and heat transfer protection on floor/wall, so no problem.

My policy is sort of a "rider" on my homeowner's policy for where we live and costs me less than $400 extra per year, with a million dollar liability and "dwelling" replacement cost, etc.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page