Back To Top
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wash Co.2B, Hearts Content 2F
Mold issue in camp....
Arrived at camp Thursday night after not being up for a little over 60 days. When I opened the door I noticed a strong musty odor. It is always a little musty when I first open it, but this time I could practically taste it. I got the power turned on to find that the loveseat in the living room had grown a good bit of greenish white mold on the arms and head rest. one of my deer mounts had mold all the way around the muzzle, my European mount was moldy, and there was white mold on the bottom of the wood paneling within 1 foot from the floor in different areas of just about every room.
I spent pretty much the whole weekend scrubbing everything with bleach/water, burned the loveseat, scrubbing floors/furniture, etc.. I know black mold is the bad kind, this was like a whitish/greenish musty mold, but i'm still not taking any chances. I keep the place tightly shut when I leave, and windows are covered making it awfully dark even in daytime. Its a block building built over a crawl space there are 2 vents on the crawl space on all four sides, and the attic is vented at both ends.
My place is surrounded by trees, and gets hardly any sunlight on it at all. I know it was a wet summer, but is that enough to cause mold growth? I bought a dehumidifier with a hose to run into the shower when i'm not there for now on. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions On how to remedy this problem?