Cheapest way to get water out of well? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Cheapest way to get water out of well?

I have a cabin in Perry County. I have a well with, I think a 5 inch pipe. The water starts at 30 feet and the well is 58 feet deep. The well hasn't been used in years. I owned the cabin for 7 years and the guy that I bought it from hadn't used it for a while. It had 2 plastic pipes going down it 50 feet, so I guess that it had a jet pump in it. I don't want to run water into the cabin. I just want to get it outside. I'm thinking that I would just use it from Spring Gobbler until the end of October, then turn it off. So I was thinking some kind of pump with a pressure tank inside like a pump house. A guy gave me a price for a submersible pump with an inline tank and a yard hydrant. Just what I need but $2400. I'm thinking something for maybe $600 to $700. Any Ideas? Am I thinking too low with my price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cheapest way to get water out of well?

hand pump?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 AM
New Arrival

Dig down next to your well casing 3' x3' to pour a concrete pad over a course of gravel. build a small wooden box over that pad and go get a used submersible pump if you need the pressure or try a jet pump since the lines are already there. You can find pumps used . Go to a plumbing supply place, tell them what you're looking for, check c-list, classified papers, give it a month something will show up. The price you got is way too much for a hunting cabin. Now that's me thinking you'll provide the labor. If you consider a used pump, wiring, conduit, water lines, a disconnect box, assorted hardware, 700.00 at the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Banned

Harbour frieght has a pump/tank/pressure switch all in one unit for about $100. I bought one two years ago and it works great for watering the garden and lawn etc from my pond. The whole unit can be picked-up and carried with one hand.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

The Harbor Freight pump is for a shallow well 25 feet or less. I looked at that. I thought about a hand pump but it is the same thing, you need a deep well hand pump and they cost as much as a submersible.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM

For what you need a decent shallow well pump will work. So you can pull out the old pipe put in 1 1/4 plastic pipe with a foot valve on the end (check valve) on the top of the well case they have a cap the would fit over the well with a hole for the pipe jet pump and small pressure tank, run it over to a stand with a hose connection on it and build a insulated house around it. The wiring is simple put a pigtail on the pump and run a extension cord if you don't want to run anything permenant, though if you will use it later that that you may want to put in a light to keep the temp up. Just remember to drain the water from the pump and lines when you are done using it after Oct or you will freeze and break the pump casing. Then the spring reprime and there you go!

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

I had a new well drilled just last week and installed a new pump,wire, and plastic line. I'll sell you the old pump 220 volt 1/2 submersible Gould, 100' of old wire, and 100' old plastic line for $150. All worked great when it was pulled less than a week ago, well went dry. Even have an old bladder tank that if it tests ok you can have for free.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 PM
New Arrival

Check out Northern tool, they have a bunch of different pumps.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

The pipe is no longer in the well, I took it out a couple of years ago. Ripnmax I would take you up on that deal but I only have 110 volt out to the shed where the pump was and I don't think I can run a 220 with the box I have. I didn't think a shallow well pump would work since I would probably have to go down to 40 or 45 feet. Will it?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:40 AM

If your water is at 30 feet it will be fine for what you want. 1 1/4 inch pvc, foot valve, jet pump, small pressure tank, 1 inch tee, reducer to 3/4 or 1/2 a garden spigot and a extension cord. You can then use a garden hose to use the water as you wish. The total cost for all of the above would be somewhere in the 400 (the pump can drive up the cost). little building around it to keep clean and neat you got what you need.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page