Solar set-up anyone?? Just enough for 2 lights - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Solar set-up anyone?? Just enough for 2 lights

ANyone have any solar experience or set-ups they can share or even link too?? Not looking for anything major, just something able to run a couple lamps at night and in the early AM hours.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:36 PM

Re: Solar set-up anyone?? Just enough for 2 lights

We have a 70 watt solar panel that can actually make the meter run backwards. Saves a bit on the bill, but doesn't erase it. If you feed it to a deep cycle marine battery, your next problem is whether to use the 12 volts as is, or convert to 120 AC. A cheap inverter can run two lamps easily if you use energy savings bulbs you get more hours between charges. If you use the new LED bulbs, you get substantially more hours of light between charges.

My one buddy has a solar array, and a small wind turbine. Between the two they charged five deep cycle batteries in a closet. Rather than mess with an inverter, he used the power as 12 volts and purchased some 12 volt small appliances and lights. 12 volt TV, 12 volt coffee maker, 12 volt blender etc. Even a 12 volt fridge/freezer. For those times when he used too much electric and ran the batteries down, he had a 20 ft extension cord and plugged into his truck and let the truck idel for 15 minutes or so to charge it back up. There are ads for suppliers in Mother earth news, BackWoods Home and a few other mags. TSC stores had sold a magazine called Home Power which was full of small power technologies. One Supplier that has been around a few years is Kansas Wind Power. Heck even Harbor Freight sells the stuff now.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 PM

RB
Look up Go Power kits 95 watt package ..it should do the trick for you .i have the 125 watt it does 7 lights and direct tv.i ran it like regular electric with the old pull chain fixtures with the boat and rv 12volt light they sell at Home Depot .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Regular Visitor

I put this system in this spring. It worked so well I added a 2nd one about a month ago.
http://www.harborfreight.com/Solar-P...att-68751.html

with sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

THANKS ALL!! Just the kind of info I was looking for. I actually bought a system to keep my camper battery charged but was not sure if it would be enough to do the same at the camp.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydiseka
I put this system in this spring. It worked so well I added a 2nd one about a month ago.
http://www.harborfreight.com/Solar-P...att-68751.html
THANKS FOR THIS ...I ordered it and a 1000 watt inverter...great reviews sounds like it will work great with the RV battery.

gutlucky, that seemed like a great system too but likely more than I will need for a 12 x 24 one room camp.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM

These panels are getting dirt cheap. I just bought this for at home for power outage back up.

http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Solar-Kit-100W...ords=100w+solar

Add a deep cycle battery and a 400-700w cheap inverter and you can run alot of cfl lights, tv, radio at camp.
And you get 30% back on your federal taxes even when using at a camp.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Regular Visitor

RB, I've been using the Harbor Freight system for almost 3 years now and it's been very reliable. Only thing I changed was the charge controller....bought an inexpensive one on amazon that worked much better. I'd also recommend installing 2 deep cycle batteries in parallel to give yourself a bigger reserve in the late fall and winter when there isnt as much daylight hours.
It's nice when you can switch on the lights and not have a noisey generator running in the backgound!

Dad, I think I got a 10 point!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 PM
The Man

I posted some info on solar in this thread. You'll need a much smaller system for what you're doing but I'd get a system you could expand.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...rue#Post2721684

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Sage

One of my stepsons installed a solar panel, inverter and deep cycle battery system at his mountain ground "compound" several years ago. Still going strong.

Started out with a little shanty, now has added to it three times, plus a big chicken pen/house next to it.

Provides some lighting and the inverter system will run power tools. It also runs the electric fence charger/wires he installed around the chicken pen to keep predators out.

I never thought that it would amount to much, but I was wrong.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page