Natural Gas Generator for Mountain Home - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Natural Gas Generator for Mountain Home

Ladies & Gentlemen,

This coming fall I am looking to up grade my gasoline driven generator with the purchase of a natural gas driven Generator to supply emergency power for my log cabin mountain home, outing buildings & Kennel. Looking to purchase a 10K minimun Natural Gas Generator, looking for some recommendations from the forum members, for business places to purchase the Generator.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM
The Man

Re: Natural Gas Generator for Mountain Home

My mother just got a generic installed. Hers is around 17 or 18kw and of course runs off of natural gas. The neat thing it has a smart switch as soon as her power goes off it fires up and takes over. It starts it self up once a week for a test run. A contractor supplied it and installed was around 7k. They have them also for lp gas and lp will give you more watts or amps. Lp is easier to hook up but than your in to a tank purchase or rental. Kohler also has a unit. I don't believe in buying things like this from Lowes and home depot. The reason I heard like many items they cheapen them up for them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had two Generac generators when I owned my business. Both performed flawlessly. I used propane, not natural gas, but that wouldn't make a difference in the performance. Generac has a pretty nice website you should check out.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM

I put in a Kohler 20kw in the LP model and itís more then up for the job. They also make this model in natural gas. I steered away from the Generic since I have them at work for tempservice and Iím not happy with the performance.
It came with the smart switch and all I needed for the unit was a battery for starting. The time from when power goes out until it starts, switches over and has the whole house running again is less than 10 seconds.
Neighbors are not a issue for me but the unit is around the back of the house and while it can be heard in the front it is not bad, and what can be heard in the house you get use to quickly, especially when the other option is sitting in a quiet house in the dark.
Kohler gives you 5 year warranty and I purchased it from Electric Generators Direst which has free shipping and took about 10 days to arrive or for $50.00 you can get it 3 day tailgate delivery.
I had my son help me who is an electrical contractor and we had it installed and tested in about 5 hrs.
Note, whichever way you get it shipped itís going to be a load to move and tailgate delivery means just that.
End result with the unit, piping for the LP and mic items I had less than 5 grand invested.
Good Luck.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 PM

We have had a Generic for 2 years, LP, smart switch, etc.
It does a test every week, and after this crazy weather this year, I wonder why we didn't do this sooner.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Birch812,
Where did you purchase your 20KW Kohler Generator from,
which business, I definitely need to check this out?
I will also check out the others Generators suggested.
Thanks much for the info
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Dave,

Have you checked Northern Tool? They seem to have a pretty good selection of larger Nat Gas and Propane Generators. No personal experience with their generators but they have the respected name brands and they've been terrific to deal with on other stuff I've bought from them.

Great looking place, by the way!!

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 PM

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....Fcef4AodnlAALQ

Dave, this is the company I ordered mine from. I looked at Northern, and this place had the best pricing for what I wanted. They were even cheaper than if I purchased it form Granger, who I have a commercial account with.
I picked the Kohler because it had a great warranty and over all had less fluctuation in voltage when things like the freezer or well pump kicked on.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Birch812,
Thanks much for the info, man these natural gas generators have really gotten expensive, especially the good Kohler units.
Pine Creek/Dave

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM
New Arrival

You get what you pay for. Stay away from knock off brands. They will have inferior brushes and armature tolerances. Better brands will also produce a better sine wave and provide less electrical noise interference. If sized properly you will save money. Bigger is not always better, you will pay more upfront and in extra fuel and maintenance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page