Has gas drilling affected your cabin? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Has gas drilling affected your cabin?

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this. If it's been discussed before, I apologize.

Has the Marcellus gas drilling had an effect on your cabin, either good or bad? We are signed in a gas lease and have a well about half a mile from the cabin. After the noise from the drilling and fracking was over the only lasting effect on us has been much improved roads and about $250 in royalties a month.

I ask the question because last weekend we were driving around southern Bradford County and saw a new road to a new well had been put in within a few yards of a cabin that used to be surrounded by woods (I think the owner may be a member here). The gas company do put up a fence between the cabin and the cabin, but still...

We bought our place because it is in the woods. A road right up against the cabin would really upset me, regardless of the income from a lease!!

What happens at camp stays at at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:36 PM

Re: Has gas drilling affected your pabin?

Only effect has been for the better. We have a wells 1/4 mile to the west of our property and 1/2 mile to the north. Gas company has improved all the roads and bridges in the area.
A little noise when they were drilling, but it's quiet now. The deer didn't seem to mind, as they were feeding in the fields outside the drilling pad,when they were drilling.
The signing bonus for our lease helped purchase a better tractor for food plots and some much needed improvements to the cabin. No royalties yet, they will be icing on the cake when the do come.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:54 PM

I've had no direct effect one way or the other but my next door camp neighbor and distant relative has a water well drilling service. A while back I asked if he'd encountered anyone whose wells or water quality had been affected in any way by all the wells going in all over the county and his answer was none, zero.

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Contaminated my water well.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 PM

3NHCP,
The only effect on my property so far has been road improvement.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Sage

Three wells drilled/fracked within a mile of my camp. All that's happened so far, is that the twp. gravel road past camp has never been better since the local well activity started about three years ago.

Graded and brined by the companies that bonded the roads during the activity that took place two-three years ago.

Now the twp. brines the entire road each year, instead of the useless brine dribbles they used to spread near houses/camps in the spring and summer. I don't miss the dust on the cabin front porch and the gravel road is now almost like a paved road.

Primarily because they now have a huge brine tank on the back of a ten wheeler dump truck - something they didn't have before their share of the state gas monies such municipalities now receive.

And now that more pipelines are being put in to connect wells already drilled/fracked, more "food plots" through more stretches of woods.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its definitely affected everything around us.

The good--- more open places for wildlife

The bad-- The roads are even more horrendous now with semi's rutting them up.
A TON of increased backroad traffic
A lot more camp break ins
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Only one well in the East Fork Valley so far. The occasional speeding truck with Oklahoma or Texas plates racing down the road from time to time. Been waiting for the frack water pond to overflow into the creek during those heavy downpours we get up there and kill all the fish. Just a matter of time when they put the pond a hundred yards up the hill from those pristine waters. I've been run off the road a few times by those same speeding trucks when traveling Rt 44. On the other hand, I've been stuck behind some overloaded trucks for miles and miles along Rt 44 doing half the speed limit. No signing bonuses or royalties here to make me feel any better about the mess those fellas from Oklahoma and Texas are making of our beloved Pennsylvania Wilds. I guess I'll have to run some of them off the road and drive through their lawns when I travel through their states. Lol

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAPA
Contaminated my water well.
Can you elaborate? This is all new to most of us and we need to know what's happened to others. Just cuz most of us havent seen any problems doen't mean there won't be any and information is our best helper right now.

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Sage

Those roads should be repaired at some point, so that will be a permanent improvement eventually. It's what the bonding money was for.

Temporary inconvenience - permanent improvement.

Several of our twp. gravel roads near my camp that were always a problem after spring thaws, are now pretty good as a result of repairs after the gas traffic tore 'em up.

All those seasonal soft spots were dug up and filled with crushed limestone, not gravel. None are still problem areas now in the spring, including two on the road past my camp that were like tank traps each spring.

We had lots of traffic while the drilling/fracking was going on, now all gone. When they moved fracking fluid from a well about a mile away, to the well about a half mile down the road, that was a pain. Was at camp for most of a week then and they were up and down the road constantly, well past midnight a few times.

Two things they did, worked out okay: The trucks drove slowly and they kept the road brined the entire time, to hold down the dust.

The only other thing that annoyed the residents, were when they fracked the wells. Incredible amount of noise 24/7 during that process, but it only lasted for a few weeks and then things went back to normal again.

I only got to hear about three days' worth of that racket, but my cousin's wife was fired up about that all summer.

'Course it doesn't take much to get her riled up anyway, but my cousin is apparently used to it after 43 years?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page