Trailer camps - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Trailer camps

How many people have a house trailer or single wide mobile home for a camp? How do you like it and would you recommend it for a camp or wait a do something stick built?

Looking for opinions either supporting or non-supporting. How about including comments on additions to them as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Re: Trailer camps

I started out with a single wide older mobile home and put a 20x10 addition on it. Being that it was a older model seems that we would always had something going on in the place. Also keeping critters out was a never ending chore. The positive side is they are quick to put in place and if you would do a better job than I did some of the problems that I had would not be there. Also I think that I would want to put a roof over the addition and mobile home first thing! We had finally decided to build a place, glad we did just is going to be forever before it is totally done if it ever is! LOL

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'd design a stick built that could be done in sections and do it that way. start with sleeping quarters and go from there. maybe haul in a 18" camper temporarily.
trailers start to look like, well trailers, after a while and invariably have roof issues unless covered. and if you ever do decide to build, then you have to get rid of the trailer, which could be a pain.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Did a double wide about 30 yrs ago. 24x42. While not being the best built home (we went with a cheaper model at the time) it was a good investment. One weekend we had a full basement put in, and the next weekend we had an instant camp complete with furniture and TP in the bathrooms. Recently we put a new roof on along with better windows and flooring. Only thing I wish it had was a steeper roof line, so that i could add a roof over our deck.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 PM

My buddy and I have a 1960 10'x40' trailer. I love the 40' part, but I don`t like that it is only 10 foot wide-too narrow in my opinion. I would rather have a 20'x20' cabin or the like.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

I was kinda thinking against the trailer idea but really not sure how to go about getting something started. I can't do the frame-up work on a camp building but could do alot of the interior work once it was up and under roof. I just gotta get something started.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Sage

We started out with a 19' camper on our camp land, then used the small "tenant" house over on my uncle's farm for several years.

When Unc decided to sell that little house to a neighboring farmer's kid, we pre-cut a 12x20 building at home, hauled all the materials up on three pickups/two trailers and put it up over three days, on block piers. Took several other trips that fall to finish the new camp, but it was done in time for deer season that year.

Some years later, built an addition on a block crawl space foundation (indoor plumbing/bath) and redid the original piers (concrete pads under them) for the 12x20 building, which is now the kitchen/living room part of camp.

Little extra work to pre-cut, haul and build the 12x20 on site, as opposed to having a similar building hauled in, but worth it.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a 1960s 12 x 52. Bought it for next to nothing down in Bucks County and suckered the guy into dragging it to Potter County for $600. I think he regretted that deal when it took him about 18 hours to get it there. The only big remodel project I really did was opening up the roof and replaced the rafters with 2 x 6s to handle the snow loads in the winter. I give it a good scrubbing in the spring and a coat of paint every 5 + years. No wiring, plumbing, insulation, kitchens, bathrooms or heaters to install. It was all there. I only use my camp as a camp. So this saved me a lot of money and time. Just wasn't worth building something at this point in my life. Maybe when I get close to retirement??

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM

We had one - a 12X60 - since the mid-1970s and it was very nice. A few years back, the roof started caving in under a heavy snowfall. I replaced it with a beautiful double-wide that I really like. If you are going for a single- or double-wide, I know a few placed that handle good re-pros at extremely good prices. I bought mine new from Butter's Homes in Mansfield.

The only problem I see with mobile homes, is "when they 'die'' it's a horrible death! Not only did my roof start coming in, the floor was coming loose and hanging and the plumbing started bursting in the walls...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 AM

And in the end you either haul them off to some remote spot on your property where they sit or end up paying for them to go into a landfill.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page