moving to camp ...ADVICE PLEASE!!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

moving to camp ...ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

well let me start by rephrasing...moving close to camp. an unbelievable (almost to good to be true) piece of property has come up for sale within 3 miles of my camp and the cards seem to be falling into place faster than I ever expected/am comfortable with...and I think that's most of my problem.

a little bit of background...im am 32 yrs old w/a wife and 2 boys (10 & 7). my wife is a homemaker who has done an excellent job in raising our boys. she is still waiting her chance to get back into the work force.

I am a member of IBEW (international brotherhood of electrical workers) local 143 in the Harrisburg area. that is a union for all you guys that are wondering...a topic for another day for all the union bashers. our work has ben extremely slow for the last 3 years and that has lead me to 3 years of out of town work...not something im a fan of but it is what it is and I do my best to avoid unemployment!

this property that has become available comes w/10+acres and a more than adequate house along w/a mobile home trailer (very nice too) as a rental property w/current tenants who want to stay and also an 1800s era post office bldg that is UNBELEIVABLE!!! the rental opportunity and the fact that the OGMs also come w/this property really have me leaning towards going all in.

basically im asking for advice or experiences from you guys who have made major moves w/young families. my boys are young enough I think that its not gonna effect them negatively. they are young enough that the "girl" card shouldn't be an issue but I worry about their friends. on the other hand these are 100% boys meaning there are no video games in our house and the tv is only on their radar when its raining out. they are usually sprawled out in the bushes waiting for birds w/their nerf guns or building squirrel traps and a house/property like this would be right up their alley!

my rationalization is that I work outta town most of the year anyways whats the difference where "home" is...I might as well live where I want to right? I basically need to be talked out of this more than I need to be talked into it. my mind has been spinning all day thinking about what I wanted to put into this topic and now half of it escapes me! im currently working out of town now and was lucky enough to have friend who let me know use their computer and get on HPA. im not sure when im gonna be able to get back online and check responses and answer questions...im really in a pinch here guys..ide be moving my family 130+miles to a far away county that they aren't used to but I think they would enjoy...KNOW they would enjoy. btw the wife is on board w/all of this and its actually mostly her idea...HAHAHAHAH...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: moving to camp ...ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

Wife is on board. I'd be packing right now. My home is my hunting and fishing domain. Don't mind the 30 mile travel to work, when I can see fields, mountains, and wildlife from the front and back of my house after the workday & workweek is over.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 AM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

Mostly the burden will be on your wife because she will be losing her network or family of go to people when she needs help. So if she is on board go for it.I have two children that grew up in country would not want it any other way. Thanks Blacksmith

camp in A.N.F.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 AM
Sage

I agree that as long as your wife is down, you'll be OK. Remember, you will travel and work as you do now, but your wife will be "stuck" there all day. It is imperative that she is happy and she needs to know, going in, that she'll be alone "in the middle of nowhere" quite a bit. If she is comfortable with that, I'd say go for it.

If you get the place, make sure to have your septic pumped every two years whether it needs it or not. You'll be glad you did if you have a family of four and laundry water going into it.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Go for it, you don't want to be saying what if the rest of your life. Good luck to you and the family, God Bless.

Molon Labe
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Jmho, with wives in these kinda exchanges
Get it in writing!
Lol.....
Best of luck...living your dream
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If she is OK with it, go for it. Kids adapt quickly at that age, no hang ups for them. You live on the road anyway, no snags for you. Mama has to be happy or nobody is happy. As a guy who travels constantly all over Pa, I can tell you that good rural people are the same no matter which corner of the state you are in. I could probably live pretty much anywhere, but I would not change my tucked in the woods life for anywhere else, Make the move !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

as long she has a set of wheels she will be O K
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
I agree that as long as your wife is down, you'll be OK. Remember, you will travel and work as you do now, but your wife will be "stuck" there all day. It is imperative that she is happy and she needs to know, going in, that she'll be alone "in the middle of nowhere" quite a bit. If she is comfortable with that, I'd say go for it.

If you get the place, make sure to have your septic pumped every two years whether it needs it or not. You'll be glad you did if you have a family of four and laundry water going into it.
I agree with DD, being that you will be traveling it is no different but the wife and kids being away from their family network can be tough. In the begining it is a new adventure but what will it be in the long winter months? Hope that what ever decision you make is the right one for you, that is all that counts! Good luck!

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page