Quoit pit question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quoit pit question

So I am putting in two quoit pits.....the boy put a set in recently and used REDART clay mix, (similar to a concrete mix).....he put in straight clay and the pits are always too wet to throw.

Have any of you used REDART? How much did you put in each pit....did you mix it with anything, (like topsoil)?

Any help is appreciated.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM

Re: Quoit pit question

I never used any bagged clay, we always mixed screened clay(which we screened even finer) than added 4parts clay to one sand, and put drain pipe in 2b under the pit. Unless its same day as heavy rain they stay dry. You could cover the pits?

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

A long time ago when My dad built Quoit pits we used clay from a vein that was on our property. We kept them covered when we weren't using tham and kept them conditioned with wet to damp burlap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Must be an eastern thing. Thanks, now I know what quoits is.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 PM

I never used bagged clay either. I got my clay from a excavator and it is mother nature's red clay. I also got some white clay that is super sticky. I keep my pits covered with a piece of roof rubber and about 6-8 hrs before game time I put about 2-3 gal of water on them after conditioning with a shovel and tamper. I have 4 pits and run 10 -16 team tourneys and never have to add water after 8 hrs of play of double elimination tourny. My pits are 3'x3' with 4"x4" wood boarder and they are 2 feet deep with clay. I use 1" steel pins 2' long through 6x6's in the bottom of the pits but not completely through the bottom 6x. I put the clay in 6" at a time and tamped each layer making sure the pins were centered and plumb and 21' feet apart. We play for money and I want no reason for anyone who enters to have a reason to cry. :-) All the pits are pretty much a mirror image of the opposite pit and my pins do not move a bit and they have been in the ground 6 yrs.

Here's a great site for all kinds of info and rules !

http://www.quoits.info/

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys.....

Played in the Danville Tourney mentioned on that website....there are some really good players in Penna, (mostly around the Reading area)....it was a blast.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I never heard of quoit before, but now I know what it is. It is a good word to use your Q and U in Scrabble and Upwords. Right?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhducker
I never heard of quoit before, but now I know what it is. It is a good word to use your Q and U in Scrabble and Upwords. Right?
Quite right!

MAGA 2020
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

whats a quoit pit ??????

MATHEWS DXT
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by long beard
I never used bagged clay either. I got my clay from a excavator and it is mother nature's red clay. I also got some white clay that is super sticky. I keep my pits covered with a piece of roof rubber and about 6-8 hrs before game time I put about 2-3 gal of water on them after conditioning with a shovel and tamper. I have 4 pits and run 10 -16 team tourneys and never have to add water after 8 hrs of play of double elimination tourny. My pits are 3'x3' with 4"x4" wood boarder and they are 2 feet deep with clay. I use 1" steel pins 2' long through 6x6's in the bottom of the pits but not completely through the bottom 6x. I put the clay in 6" at a time and tamped each layer making sure the pins were centered and plumb and 21' feet apart. We play for money and I want no reason for anyone who enters to have a reason to cry. :-) All the pits are pretty much a mirror image of the opposite pit and my pins do not move a bit and they have been in the ground 6 yrs.

Here's a great site for all kinds of info and rules !

http://www.quoits.info/
Heres a clue on the last line......click on it!

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page