rifle range - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

rifle range

We had the state police stop by our cabin when we up during the 4th. Unfortunately I had just went to town. He wanted to know what all the shooting was about. My wife said we were target shooting. He wanted to see the backstop and she showed him. Backstop is an 8' dirt pile and he was satisfied. Apparently someone called. Are there any regulations regarding shooting? Safety zones? He didn't say anything but I wondered if the neighbors could shut us down. That would really tick me off if it was the people next door. They are a section 8 crowd that we give all our extra food to. They eat like kings when we are up there. We only shoot about 4 times a year up there. It is not every weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: rifle range

I would think it would be a zoning/township issue. Some have regs concerning the time of day, and also shooting at random ( Not into a backstop ). I know of no law that would stop you from shooting safely on your own property in daylight hours. If your camp is in close proximity to neighbors who are year round residents, they may get annoyed. You don't mention how big your property is, but say for instance if you have an acre or less, you will probably ruffle some feathers by shooting a lot. The Trooper was just doing his job, someone calls, they haul.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 AM
The Man

Police always investigate shooting complaints. And jurisdictions have laws controlling target shooting. Many ranges are away from the public, but close enough to get complaints.

I remember going to a new public range. Someone stopped shocked that his country residence was near a public rifle and pistol range. In the modern era, it's a wonder that many are left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Not sure where you're at, but PSP does not and will not enforce township/municipal ordinances. If its a general safety issue, yes, they will get involved. We have the same thing going on in Howe Twsp, Forest County. We shoot maybe twice a year. A few months back we had an unwelcome visitor(not law) give us his unsolicited opinion about shooting. So we gave him ours back.

I have CDO, its like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order the way they should be.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:18 AM
JGR

I know where I live you must have an acre of a land, can't shoot across roads, and have a sufficient backstop. Basically use common sense. Other than that you are good to go.
Have you talked to them about it? They may have just had a legitimate concern... wondering if you were poaching, or safely shooting?... are they people that thought you were scaring away the deer they are trying to poach?... or are they just anti's?
Personally if it's one of the last two and I was you, I would go up every weekend and shoot just to tick them off... but I don't play well with idjits.

JR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page