Hunting Spots - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Hunting Spots

I was wondering how hunting spots are determined at other camps. At our camp, everybody kind of finds their own spots during archery season and we share them (even though 90% of the stands are mine and set up by me), but we all have set spots in rifle season. For fifteen years, I've only hunted where my uncle did before he quit hunting. It's the best spot on the mountain and usually produces a buck every year. I built a new permanent stand right beside where my uncle's was about six years ago and I put a lot of money and time into it. Now some of the other members are starting to complain that it isn't fair that we have set spots. I haven't hunted there in a few years because I have gotten a deer in archery season, so I've let my best friend hunt out of the stand while I sat with him. Even still, other members don't like this. None of them purchase stands or having anything built like I do either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM

Re: Hunting Spots

DrewMc,
No matter what you do, or how fair you are someone will always complain about what a strong man does.
Never worry about what others believe, be stong, know right and wrong disreguard these kind of people. In the long run of life they mean nothing. If you can, start looking for your own camp, a hunting club is nice to start out with, but usually deteriates with time, after the original members
fade away, thru old age or death.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine-Creek
DrewMc,
No matter what you do, or how fair you are someone will always complain about what a strong man does.
Pine Creek/Dave
An extraordinary philosophical statement...and quite true!

The method we use with our large hunting lease is simple, it goes by seniority. Each year right before rifle buck (the heaviest use period of the year) we have a site-selection get-together at the lease manager's place. Spots are picked by seniority, the longer you been a member the better the spot you can choose.

With-in my own small camp it is the same, deer spots as well as choice of bunks are selected based on seniority.

Eh...wot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What you need to do is ask people to help out with stands or you get first pick. Once people help out, you could do a pick from the hat. There are two ways you could do this...1. everyone gets their name in a hat once and pick in order of best location to least 2. everyone gets a number of names in the hat equal to how long they have been in the club (someone who has been there for 5 years gets their name in the hat 5 times...) that way the more years you have under your belt the better chance you get pulled for the best stands, again pick best location to worst location.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Things will never change as far as people helping out and building/buying other stands. I also don't feel comfortable getting into a stand that someone else put up. I don't know what will come of it in the next few years, but there is a good chance that some arguments might ensue. I don't believe there is an easy solution.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Sage

One reason I enjoy pretty much having camp to myself in deer seasons, although there were never any problems when my buddys were still around, or dad and my son were there?

One year my kid crawled up into one of my permanent tree stands during a windy morning, but didn't stay there long. He later told my bud that it was too scary up in there. My bud told him his first clue should've been that his dad wasn't already in it.

Now and then a relative or neighboring farmer will be where I wanted to be on my land, but I just move on to another favorite spot.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

WE only have two hunters in our camp during deer season and neither of us can sit for more than an hour, so we sneak around and push deer into hunters who are smart enough to sit in a good stand.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Banned

We have a simple rule, if someone is in a stand... it is their's....if nobody is in a stand ....it is yours.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Banned

We have 4 guys in for deer season. We have all had our same stands for as long as I can remember. Some years a few other guys will come and they always find spots but nowhere near the MAINSTAY 4.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We've never had a problem with wanting each other's stands. Stands have a personality that matches the owner. What I think looks good my hunting partners don't. Some of us are quite mobile and can get to the distant stands, others aren't so lucky. Junior hunters and their parents get first choice. And no one hunts my son's stand because he always hunts there in perfect weather conditions from heaven.

I miss my hunting partner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page