Updating heating system..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Updating heating system.....

Gonna be lookig to update the heating system in a camp that i'll soon be the owner of. Currently there is a gravity fed standing oil unit (heatrolla) in there now. Tt works, but its old, and heating oil is expensive. looking to go with ventless propane, and wood burner. camp is around 800 sq ft. two bed 1 bath. attic is insulated. walls are block with 2 inch foam between block and paneling on the inside.
There is an existing 12x 16 masonary chimney the the oil furnace was vented thru that I would use to vent the wood burner. I just don't know how big of a ventless heater I will need to get, i'm thinking 20-30,000 btu. I aso don't know what is better blue flame or infrared? What brand does everyone else use, and how safe are they?

`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Re: Updating heating system.....

The biggest vent free I have seen is 30,000 btu's. blue flame or infrared is personal preference in my opinion.

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 02:05 PM

Just a caution, some chimneys are capable of venting oil and gas burners, but are unsuitable for wood smoke. check it, install a liner it if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Part of the Community

I have a blue flame 30000 btu propane for my camp that is around 700 sq. ft and it does a good job usually only have to put it on a 2 setting once camp is warm. sometimes i use ceramic heaters when it is not real cold and I also have a wood burner when that is in use rarely do I take it above setting 1. Welcome to the neighborhood by the way I am on the west side of warren county around grand valley (rt.27)maybe if you decide to take a drive that way I can give you directions and we can chat though I don't drink I usually have some brews on hand for those that might.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

google mr heater
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Part of the Community

I have used both and the IR heater seemed to throw the heat through out the room better. Get one with a thermostat so you don't waste propane.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Regular Visitor

If this place is like mine you won't get much heat into the bedrooms from any kind of heater in the living qtrs without ducted forced air. We use small electric heaters in the bedrooms but the main room where the woodburner is could be 80 deg.and the place don't know whether it's wood heat,or oil or whatever. When I eventually move into my place and make it my retirement home I'm gonna get a propane forced air furnace with ducts to the bedrooms and a thermostat just like a regular heating system and use the woodburner as a backup if the power goes out and I'll have my generator on hand too.I have a Pro-Com ceramic 18,000 btu nat. gas heater in my living room at home for when I only need a little heat in that room and with only one panel on it will cook me out. But, the heat only warms that room unless I crank it up to full cap.and by then I might as well crank up the gas furnace because the unit heater will be as good as a burp in a windstorm. This is my experience with unit heaters,go from there.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i might be able to get ahold of a gas trailer furnace. FIL has it and don't know what to do with it. might be able to get it for 50 bucks ,don't know

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 PM

If you have electric look into a coal/wood fired furnace at Tractor supply.You could run the pipes straight up and to each room.You still get good heat from the body of the unit too.As far as propane goes,I heat my house with ventless heaters.A 30 and a 15.Usually on low if its really cold the middle setting.1600 square feet.I have used them for about 5 years and no problems.You do need to blow dust out of the orifices and grids possibly twice a year if used all the time.My dogs hair clogs them up.Less than half the cost of a forced air system to operate.I'm using natural gas though.Pro Com is the brand I have and they are IR not blue flame.My house is warm all the time no temperature swings.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Can you still use copper tubing for propane?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page