How far is to far? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

How far is to far?

Well I've narrowed the camp search down to three. My only concern is the travel time is a solid 3 hrs to get to warren Co. from my house. I have another opportunity at a place in Ligonier westmoreland Co that's only one hour away, but its just something about being up north that draws me....So, how far do you travel to get to camp, and how often do you go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 AM

Re: How far is to far?

Live in Philadelphia and our camp is in Potter county, an easy 5 hours. The drive isn't so bad but can get old. The price of gas is definitely a factor sometimes as well is the drive. I'm sure I would get up there more often if the drive wasn't as far, it's tough to get up for a quick weekend. That being said I have been to other camps in Sullivan, Luzerne, pike and counties which are definitely nice but not the same as being in Potter to me. I guess though you have to look at how much you will be able to utilize the camp and that should help justify the purchase. Either way best of luck on whichever you choose I'm sure lots of memories will made no matter which way you go.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

I live in Washington county and have a camp in Cross Fork Potter county. 4 hr drive is not bad. My experience with camps closer to the major cities is alot more pressure/influx of people in the closer destinations to the major cities with the shorter drive times. Had a bad experience at another camp that was close to home with poor neighbors whose camp was an hour from their home near PGH and I could never seem to miss running into them while I was there. Just my two cents though. Good luck in making your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Live in Cambria county and have a camp in Tioga...3hours door to door. By no means am I rich but gas prices though a burden, to me travel time is more of an issue. To make a trip worth while, you almost either have to take friday or monday off which with a small child and wife doesnt happen (if taking time off its to spend with them).

If you plan to leave friday at 5, it usually ends up being 5:30-6 so your pulling in around 9. Unpack stoke a fire and turn on the water (which usually doesnt happen on short trips) and its easily 10-10:30. If you want to hunt early in the morning its pretty much time to go to bed without relaxing and enjoying camp for a little bit. Now fast forward to sat...up early to hunt eating a cold breakfast so not to have to wash dishes or smelling of eggs, bacon or the like. You go to the woods prelight and hunt all day coming home at dark. Either whip up something at camp for dinner but usually eat at the Log Cabin Inn. Come back and enjoy camp a little and go to bed. Sunday usually is a sleep in day, get up pack up and leave around noon to get home around 3-4 to allow for unpacking and relaxing a little.

Actually we usually never stick to the plan above. Get to camp unpack and sit around the fire getting to be way later than liking to get up early. Either sleep in a little sat or get up and nap in the woods Stay up again sat while sleeping in sunday. Wake Up tired again but leave at a decent hour to get home and relax. All in all a great weekend and cant wait to get back again.

If camp was closer to home we would use it much more frequently. If I were to spend my own money on purchasing a camp, I would make sure to get there as often as I could to justify the purchasing cost. Our camp is long paid for by my dad and 2 uncles. They pay all the bills and such so its free to me. I know thats a terrible way to look at it but its true. They go even less frequently than I
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Live in Washington Co and drive 4 hours to Lycoming Co around a dozen or more times a year, its nice to have a place away from it all
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The drive does you good. Usually unwound and excited by the time you arrive!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

465 miles one way for me. Usually 8 hours door to door, counting a stop for a sit-down meal. Yes, I usually take off a Friday to make it worth the trip. I've made 11 trips so far this year. I'm with Joe when he says "The drive does you good."

$4/gallon gas makes it spendy to go, but hard to put a price on the benefits I reap.

The answer to "Too far?" is all relative to who's asking the question, IMO.

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM

<span style="font-weight: bold"> It's NEVER to far to go to camp doing something, I love to do & spend time w/ people who enjoy the same interests as me....

Can't wait for the next "ROAD TRIP" to Centre county...Come on turkey season...</span>
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I lived in Nebraska for 5 of the 39 years of owning my Forest County camp, that makes my 400 mile drive seem short now. Ole' Raspy says it all.......
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

My camp is two hours exactly. I have to say it is nice, the drive is never a factor as too whether I go or not. I have made several day trips for various reasons.

I also drive 4 hours to Potter county once a year to a buddy's camp, but wouldn't want to do that as much as I go to my place.

I think you need to decide the area you want to hunt and go from there. Distance would certainly be a factor for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page