Pellet Stoves - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Pellet Stoves

Anybody out there using pellet stoves?
Be it at home or camp.
How many tons of pellets per year are you using ?
How big of an area are you heating, and is it at home or camp?
(Figure most camps not as well insulated as homes)
Just curious, throwing around some ideas.

Carve your successes in stone ,
Leave your failures in the sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM

Re: Pellet Stoves

3-4 ton a winter season.
Use to heat my house. Approx 1400 sf over two floors. Stove in middle of main floor layout where there is a loft to second floor.

Been using it for many years now. Woodstove before that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

we have 2 of them, one at the house which is one of the biggest ones they make and it is full automatic, we have an L shaped ranch and it heats the basement and the upper living area. we go through about 4 tons a year. the one at the cabin in not fully automatic and heats 2 floors which is only about 800 square feet, once the cabin gets warm it actually overheats the place on the lowest settings. we love both pellet stoves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
The Man

I use a Harman P-68 to heat approx 2300 sqft. In my home . I go through 4-5 tons if pellets per winter and rarely turn the boiler on. If it gets down to single digits I will turn the boiler on.

I just bought 3 tons of pellets at $199.00/ ton

I am on my sixth season with this stove and the only problem I've had was a bad blower motor which was covered under warranty.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM

We rely on a Breckwell P23 to heat 2000 s/f farmhouse. Does a decent job especially 30 and above. We go through 3-4 tons of pellets per year and a little oil.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a small (1400sf) house and i have a 10 year old pellet stove. Go thru a little over two ton of pellets every winter. Last year about a ton. Likes? Its cheap compared to oil or propane heat. The bad? cleaning it everyday, dust everywhere, getting pellets for me is a nightmare since I live in town. Its an ordeal getting a ton onto my back porch. If I didn't have a truck it would be worse.

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM
The Man

Look into a coal stoker stove.........it operates the same as a pellet stove, and coal is around the same price (roughly 212.00 a ton) and has a lot more BTU's in it than hardwood pellets.....I believe you get almost 1.75 the amount of BTU out of a ton of hard coal, as you get out of a ton of pellets......

Also, coal stoves don't require anywhere near as much cleaning as a pellet stove does, and coal can basically be stored wherever, it does not need to be kept free from wetness/dampness, like pellets do.....

You can pick up a used stoker stove for anywhere from 500-1000 dollars on craigslist etc....

Here is a picture of mine...It is my main heat source, and it heats my house (~1200 sf) on about 5 ton a year......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
Look into a coal stoker stove.........it operates the same as a pellet stove, and coal is around the same price (roughly 212.00 a ton) and has a lot more BTU's in it than hardwood pellets.....I believe you get almost 1.75 the amount of BTU out of a ton of hard coal, as you get out of a ton of pellets......

Also, coal stoves don't require anywhere near as much cleaning as a pellet stove does, and coal can basically be stored wherever, it does not need to be kept free from wetness/dampness, like pellets do.....

You can pick up a used stoker stove for anywhere from 500-1000 dollars on craigslist etc....

Here is a picture of mine...It is my main heat source, and it heats my house (~1200 sf) on about 5 ton a year......

Wow I cannot believe (not that I don't believe you, just can't believe it burns that much) you have to clean it out everyday! When I burn wood in my outdoor furnace I don't have to clean the ashes out for 3 weeks of burning. When I burn hard coal I need to clean it out every 3-4 days. Coal is very tricky to burn efficiently. Personally if you want to burn coal buy a coal stove not a dual stove.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:11 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822

Wow I cannot believe (not that I don't believe you, just can't believe it burns that much) you have to clean it out everyday! When I burn wood in my outdoor furnace I don't have to clean the ashes out for 3 weeks of burning. When I burn hard coal I need to clean it out every 3-4 days. Coal is very tricky to burn efficiently. Personally if you want to burn coal buy a coal stove not a dual stove.
Well, that was probably a high estimate.....I think I bought about 4.5 ton last year, and I had about a ton left so I probably used 3.5 tons, but there was a lot of days that it was 80 degrees in the house.....it was too cool to turn it off, but not cold enough to use all of the heat.....

That stove is a coal only stoker stove.......fill the hopper once a day, empty the ashes once a day.......I put about 2 hods of coal in it a day in the dead of winter, and take out 3 or 4 gallons of ashes(thats the size of the pan).....other than that, it just runs itself...

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Propane boilers in a house..Where is a cheap place to buy a 325 gallon tank and cast iron furnace??? How efficient is propane compared to fuel oil???What is the best make of furnace???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page