Tent stove - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Tent stove

Finished my new downsized tent stove. Made from a 5 gal steel bucket that has a ring for securing the lid. Did a burn off outside to remove the paint. Need a 4 inch pipe damper to complete this project. The other stove was too overpowering for this size tent. Also made a fly cover for those snowy nights. This little bucket stove has a great draft. Deer/Coyote/Bear camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Re: Tent stove

Ingenius. The problem I have with such stoves is that the metal is so thin, there is no thermal mass to hold the heat.

When I was a five or six, we camped in winter in the poconos in an old army squad tent and a kerosene heater kept it just above "seeing your breath" even with snow outside.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

That's pretty cool. I imagine you have some sort of grate inside the stove to keep the fire out of the ashs.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM

How long is the burn time?I would think it would be short due to the low volume of a 5 gallon bucket.I hope you don't have to feed it constantly.Nice idea though.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

If you have good air and a damper it would burn awhile but it would still need attention regularly I imagine. Long as you have a good sleeping bag your fine. I imagine the stove is for when you up and about.

I love seeing stuff like this. It shows to me the true spirit of getting out there and making it happen.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes, this has a grate and though the firebox is small it will warm this tent to be comfortable. I have a down sleeping bag for the cold nights. When a bed of coals is a couple inches on the grate then laying the knot-est chunk of wood on top with the damper closed down this will give a good burn time for the size. Mornings are the scramble times, I will have a starter bundle ready. This is paper and kindling with pine board scrap cut and wrapped up, put a bundle in and light, 5 minute max, heat! It is true when the fire is out, instant cold! I almost forgot to answer you about the burn time. When burning it off, I filled it full of pine boards and the daft wide open, this baby was hot, and it burned for 1.15 hours, the coals lasted then with the door open about 30 minute. I will give it a real test during old folks deer season.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 PM

You sure don't need to sweat primitive camping.For me after I sweat I'm always cold.A couple small pieces of rock elm would burn/smolder for a few hours if you get it lit.It would't burn with a flame when I tried it.All it did was glow and it burned for quite a few hours that way.If you can find some slab it,splitting it is impossible.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page