Firewood. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Firewood.

I figured I'd have enough seasoned wood for this season.

Had 14 dead trees dropped and spent a day splitting the small stuff and piled it up out back leaving a lot of firewood size stuff by the road for the locals.

Well someone looked under the tarp and took all the split wood along w/the stuff I split this spring and had stacked around the lease drying AND the stuff I left down front.

Don't you just love it!

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Firewood.

that stinks

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Been there many times my friend. I've had multi thousand dollar veneer logs pilfered by firewood thieves, loads of cut rounds stolen, etc. Heres what I do at camp, I leave the wood in pole length. Most low lifes won't work to steal, so cutting the wood up does not appeal to them. It also makes noise and draws attention. When I go to camp I cut up a pole or two, split it, and use it, not leaving any split wood behind. Its sad you have to do that, but it works for me. I also caught a guy once who stole the wood from my home, lets just say he was somewhat more than startled when I wheeled in as he was stacking it next to his shed. He had the guts to say I had so much and he so little, I was the bad guy. The State Police did not share his opinion.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Firewood is Probably one of the most stolen items in rural NC pa. and its not always the local lowlife that does it , seems there are a few camp goers that feel its ok to take enough firewood ,just to get them thru a cool weekend at camp.cutting there own would probably cut into there beer drinking time.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Part of the Community

Heard a story from some ole time camp owners about catching the vermin that stole there fire wood. They drilled into the fire wood and filled the hole with black powder and rifle primers, They then covered the holes with wood puddy. Wasn"t long when news of a stove blowing up hit the bars
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottersdale Petz
Heard a story from some ole time camp owners about catching the vermin that stole there fire wood. They drilled into the fire wood and filled the hole with black powder and rifle primers, They then covered the holes with wood puddy. Wasn"t long when news of a stove blowing up hit the bars
All I can say is WOW, potentially killing someone over some wood.

I do not condONE stealing in any way shape or form but some ways to combat things arent worth it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottersdale Petz
A few years ago, after about the 4th time of having our firewood stolen, I posted such a note on the woodpile. In the note, I said there were a few secretly marked logs mixed in the pile, which were loaded with black powder – although there actually were none with powder. I think DCNR removed the note.

I’ve also considered putting in some plastic tubes filled with skunk essence. That wouldn’t cause an explosion or any injuries, but may cause some “discomfort”. But just my luck, I would grab one of those logs.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

While I'd like to load a few splits w/ black powder; the chances of it causing trouble is just too great. My luck it would blow up someone stealing my wood for the first time.

I wish I had 'borrowed' a few gal of the flame retardant chemicals we used to transport...I'd split some and just soak it w/ that, it would make it tough to light!

I did leave a note on the back of the building saying the cameras got the license plate number and the State Police are watching.

I doubt it will do any good as all the split stuff is gone.

I hope they enjoy the fruit of my labor, $900.00 to drop the trees and cut thru one that had fallen across a path.

Three friends and I spent a whole day w/ (2) saws and (2) splitters so I'm out the gas, food & beer for nix.

There is still a bunch of un-cut logs out back and alongside the place as we only cleaned up what had been cut out front...I think I'll let it rot and feed the forest soil.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I do not condemn stealing in any way shape or form but some ways to combat things arent worth it.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Was hopeing myself that it was just a typo.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page