Powering your camp...? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Powering your camp...?

How do you guys power your camps that don't have electric available? What do you use and what all do you run off it?
Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Sage

Re: Powering your camp...?

We had a 5500 Gen. and we were in 12x65 mobile,we ran lights,small water heater and demand pmp for showers, coffee pot in morning( 2 coffeepots was a load),refrig,We also ran a dvd TV set for movies...... we also had gas lights on the walls..Plenty enough power, we took it home after every trip....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

We have gas lights, fridge, stove, heat, hot water, and a big open fireplace. No electricity needed or wanted. We've recently replaced our old servel fridge with a new model that works superbly. We replaced a lot of our old Humphreys lights with new low pressure models that give off three times the light and our old vented gas heater has been replaced with a non-vented wall model. All work extremely well. The only downside I can think of is that the gas lights give off a lot of heat which is a problem on warm summer nights. We don't use our place that much in the summertime anyhow.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lights and stove are propane.I replaced 5 Humphrey gas lights with 2 Midstate's this summer, great improvement.
We use ice chest to keep food and drinks cold.
I have a 40 gal aluminum tank that sits atop the the wood stove to supply the shower and kitchen sink with hot water. It also has a propane burner/ thermostat controlled for summer use when someone wants to take a shower. The water is distributed by a 12 volt on demand pump. The TV/DVD unit is also a 12 volt unit. We only receive the three PSU channels so the DVD is used a lot when ever there's no card game going.
I don't miss the electric at all. My one buddy is talking about getting a Dish for his RV that he will then bring to camp. If that happens I will bring my Generator to power it, but I could care less if it happens, Football games would be nice thought.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

we got propane lights and stove,propane heater and wood stove,for showering we use a battery powered unit by Zodi.Over the summer we light with LED lights and use a 2650 watt honda generator for A/C and for running the vaccum cleaner.We use coolers for our food and drinks.

Sniper 370 / victory X bolts / shockwave 100grn / KI lumix with speedring (mine)
Parker Tornado (sons)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 PM

I have propane fridge ,solor power runs lights, shower 12 volt pump,compost fan,tv and direct tv dish .i have backup propane lights from original owners ..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 PM
The Man

We have a stationary bike hooked up. Needs peddled for about an hour at a time and will hold power for approximately 8 hours. The youngest in camp gets the short straw to do the peddling...or the wives if they are there.

2F for a while...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Part of the Community

I went to Q's camp one time and refused to ride a stupid bike, that night i had to sleep in the bed of my truck and to this day havent been invited back.

"I'm going to catch it in the coat... and smack it with the hammer" - Chevy Chase
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Big Buck
I went to Q's camp one time and refused to ride a stupid bike, that night i had to sleep in the bed of my truck and to this day havent been invited back.
And you are wondering why?? You gotta put your time in kid...

2F for a while...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM

We have propane lights and 2 propane refrigerators. We have a Honda 6000 generator that runs our well pump, lights, and a microwave at mealtimes or when we clean up at the end of a trip. Some of the guys use deep cycle batteries and a power inverter to run fans at night in the summer. Our setup works well for us.

This is who we are. This is what we do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page