Outside wood burner - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Outside wood burner

Whos running one at camp or at home? What brand are you using and what do you like or dislike about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Outside wood burner

I have one at home. It would be impractical at camp because you would have to drain the whole system prior to leaving so it doesn't freeze. If you are more interested in running it at home let me know and I'll let you know what I have learned over the years.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

First thing to do is make sure you are permitted to install one where you want it. Some areas have ordances that wont allow them.

Camp Longbeard, Cross Fork, Potter County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the info rod. Im pretty sure they are allowed as others in the area have them. I would have to double check though on that.

Squeaks, yes this would be a home. Please fill me in with any info
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:07 AM

Squeaks. Do share. I'm interested at home.

UBP & NRA Lifetime Memeber
Lancaster County
USMC Sgt/E-5 1993-1997
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:11 AM

They are good and bad, if you have access to free or cheap wood and have a good setup, like hot water heat, use it. Don't go cheap with the underground pipes. It will use more wood/coal then a traditional setup. Had one loved it but I went through 25 plus cords a year one thing being uninsulated home, other hot water to air heat exchanger very inefficient for an outdoor boiler in my situation. Does let you go a longtime between filling except in severe cold. Plus now EPA furnaces are a lot more than the old ones, so expect 10k now for gassification ones and install.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wow 25 cords? All my buddies are saying like 14-15 heating a house and garage. I guess you do have a couple factors that added in that but still that seems high
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have one sitting here, just getting ready to hook it up. i already have the in floor hot water piping, so all have to do is tie it in. i will be heating a well insulated 20x24 building and my house is about 2000 sf. been throwing wood in the basement for 30 years and i'am looking forward to not having to do that anymore!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My house is 2200 sq' and is decently insulated. The furnace also heats our domestic hot water. We have 4 people showering a day plus our laundry, which my wife uses hot water to clean our clothes. Our house has hot water baseboard radiant heat.
Now that we have the outdoor furnace we/wife sets our thermostat a lot higher now because of it. It used to be set at 68 tops and now it's 75-degrees 24/7.
I burned 3 years with wood that I gathered myself and paid off the furnace and the installation (I dug the ditch and laid the pipe, but paid about $1,000 for the final hookup). However, now I have a guy that brings me a cord of wood for $100 and that is cut to length I want (33" length) so my days of gathering wood are done.
As far as how much I burn... I use around 8 cords of wood. Note!!! My furnace is over 125' from my house so I do lose heat. If it was closer I would save on wood. I burn from mid-Oct. to mid-April. When I know it's gonna get to zero degrees, I throw in a bag of coal with the wood. However, I strongly believe if you lined the bottom (ash area) with firebricks you would get the same affect.
As far as smoke goes, I really don't see how it's any different then a regular fireplace. Actually, since the furnace has a blower it. It sends visible smoke once the blower kicks on (3-4 minutes) later all you will see is heat waves... like you would on a blacktop road during a hot summer day.
You will be surprised how much wood you use, but I have only used a half of a tank of fuel oil in 4 years. Also, I seriously do not mind going out to the furnace at night to feed it. I only put wood in it once a day (even when it’s super cold). I clean the ashes out about every 2 weeks.
We do not have natural gas, so it's well worth it financially.
They no longer make my furnace (epa reasons), but if I was to do it again I would buy I heatmor or central. However the furnace I have is built like a brick… house.
If you want to know anything else just ask…
Below are a few pics...
Wood pile...

The pumps...

I put an additional 3' stack on it once I got it, beyond the 3' stack that is in the pic.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks squeaks, your 8 cord sounds a lot better. Like I mentioned two of my buddies are heating 3000 sqf of home and then garages on top of that and are doing about 14-15 per year so that sounds about right.

I have a pretty decent hookup on wood that would require me to cut but they would drop 7 cord at a time in the driveway. I dont mind doing work like that but I wouldnt consider if I had to find the wood out in the woods as I do not have the time or land resources to find it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page