Mold - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: western pa
Posts: 225
Back To Top
Mold

I need some help here please!! I have a camp, and the last couple of times we have gone there has been mold everywhere, walls, chairs, doors, you name it its there. Any idea how to keep this from happening. I dont keep the electric on so a dehumidfier wouldnt work for me. Any advice would be great! Thanks!!
littlepaint is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Sage
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Townsend, DE
Posts: 52,307
Back To Top
Re: Mold

open some windows for ventilation, create a cross draft...
RonM is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Regular Member
 
G-Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: PA
Posts: 1,124
Back To Top
Re: Mold

Damp Rid or open containers of kitty litter.

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.
G-Daddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 26,979
Back To Top
Re: Mold

Keep the electric on, and hook up a dehumidifier and let it run, find a way to let a hose run outside when you aren't there so it will empty its self. Keep that going until you get rid of the dampness and try to find the source and correct it. You hvae a lot of moisture to have that much mold and you will need to wipe down everything that was moldy with something that kills mold spores or it will come back. You could look into hiring a pro to go to the camp and try to find out what the problem is.



Woods walker is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: harrisburg area/camp 2G
Posts: 1,103
Back To Top
Re: Mold

if you take a 5 gallon bucket and put some charcoal in it- the cheap stuff- the charcoal will suck the moisture out-
barney is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berks County
Posts: 3,830
Back To Top
Re: Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonM
open some windows for ventilation, create a cross draft...
That's all you have to do. Having as few windows open when the place isn't occupied makes a huge difference.

Eh...wot?
Lugnut is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,969
Back To Top
Re: Mold

Mold is a serious health hazard, not just an annoyance, especially the way you describe it. First clean the place top to bottom and wear a high quality mask while doing it. rugs...I'd get rid of 'em. Re-paint or whatever else is needed then do what others said above. There are also companies that specialize in cleaning and removing mold.....yes it will cost money but if you're going to use the place, what is your health worth. Otherwise I would stay out of there.
Davy Crockett is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Squeaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bellefonte, Pa
Posts: 3,823
Back To Top
Re: Mold

Paint the walls with Kilz paint. You will be surprised how some paint grows mold. As far as furniture you need something other then the cushions to suck the moisture out. A dehumidifier is the easiest way with a hose to drain the bucket. Can you isolate the breakers so that just the dehumidifier runs? You can try the other methods mentioned, but I wouldn't screw around with mold. If it gets to the insulation and structural wood you are screwed, as it will grow on it's own. As an asthmatic person nothing gets me whizzing / asthmatic attack like mold.
Squeaks is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: pa
Posts: 355
Back To Top
Re: Mold

we deal with the same problem years ago when we first bought our cabin, put in a dehumidifier and haven't had a problem since. takes all the moister out of the cabin, no mold or damp smell. we leave it on from april to october and it sit on the kitchen counter and drains into the sink.
17 furball is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome