Sun-Mar Composting toilet advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Sun-Mar Composting toilet advice

We have a sun-mar excel electric composter at our camp. The first few years we had no problems, but for the last year or 2 we have had odor problems. This past holiday weekend seemed to be the worst. I suspect it may be something we are doing wrong. We have replaced the fan at the advice of a dealer. I feel we may be getting conflicting advice. The one dealer told us it is not necessary to use peat moss regularly, just wood chips after each use. Camp is used mainly 1 or 2 weekends a month, spring, summer, fall closed through winter. 4 average people a weekend, deer season gets up to 10 people. Electric is off when we are not there so fan only runs when people are at camp. Our procedure of use is usually 1 cup of shavings after use and rotate drum before leaving, and keeping lid closed. Thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Sun-Mar Composting toilet advice

Check your vent pipe. Run a drain snake through the vent. 2 years ago I had a vent pipe clog with leaves.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:28 PM

I use the compost mix from Sun Mar. Or in a pinch the home mead peat moss-wood chip blend.

I would try emptying the unit completely. We do this every year or 2. It's not a fun job, but 2 guys can carry it outside and rotate the drum/dump the pan till it's empty. Then hose it out real good.

Then start over with a fresh batch of compost and microbe mix.

While the unit is outside check your vent pipe like 54 said.

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Part of the Community

I go along with what Ohioflatlander says. I empty mine about every two years also and clean it just running water through it. I also had leaf obstruction in the vent pipe which made the fan really useless. I always use peat moss after every use, but when I leave camp and after rotaing the drum I also sprinkle arm & hammer baking soda in it, not much mind you but maybe a tablespoon or so it seems to help keep the odor down. When the women are there they keep a candle lit in the bathroom to add a little fragrance ......lol.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You guys should put Tinks in it. That way you are ready for the rut.
Obviously I'm kidding and these posts are great info for me. As I am a rookie to the composting poop world.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 PM
The Man

If it's not too full you must have an issue with the vent.Being that it worked for awhile I gotta assume it's high enough above the roof.Even without the fan the draft should take care of the odors.

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Part of the Community

This isn't in reference to Sun-Mar, but I've been researching composting toilets for our camp and am wondering what the opinion is concerning Incinolet toilets? They are close to the same price as Sun-Mar, but am wondering about performance.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose106
This isn't in reference to Sun-Mar, but I've been researching composting toilets for our camp and am wondering what the opinion is concerning Incinolet toilets? They are close to the same price as Sun-Mar, but am wondering about performance.
My uncle had an incinolet at the lake 50 years ago.

I also saw The Dirty Jobs guy [mike rowe] cleaning on out on an alaska crab boat, an old show that may have led to the present TV show.

I've already measured and I could put one in the corner of the camp bedroom but I don't want to spendthe money JUST to get my wie to come use the cabin....................

The outhouse is fine for me.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

We just painted the interior of our outhouse and replaced the candle we use for ambiance. I think we'll stick with what we've got for a while longer....maybe twenty years or so!!

Here's a tip for you guys who have outhouses. We put a sheet of styrofoam insulation in and cut a hole where you sit and it makes it much warmer on the tush on cold winter days.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM
The Man

There's different makes of composting toilets.I would research each brand.Personally I think there's better then sun mar.

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page