Want to insulate my basement - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Want to insulate my basement

I have a partially exposed basement (full open front, partial sides, back is under ground) and want to insulate the walls to help conserve heat. Currently there is no insulation anywhere in the basement. I have a woodstove down there that I use to exclusively heat my house in the winter, but I feel I am using too much wood because of losing all my heat through the uninsulated walls. Do you think its possible that I'm losing alot of heat through the walls instead of it going upstairs where I want it currently? I've heard different opinions. What would you guys use for insulation? Eventually I want to finish 2/3 of it and turn it into my trophy room so if it makes sense to do something now, thats what I'll do. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Want to insulate my basement

concrete block basements can be cold and damp..You may be able to get a company to pump insulation into the blocks..Heat from woodstoves rise so being in the basement is good.You may need to burn it hotter or get a bigger stove..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I burn as hot as I safely can and when the temps drop below freezing I'm lucky to get my upstairs to 70 degrees. I have 2-4, 4x12" registers in each room upstairs, leave the stair door open and have fans moving the air, but the biggest problem is the basement just doesn't get all that warm, so therefore the heat or lack thereof, can't make it upstairs. I'm burning seasoned hard maple, cherry and oak in a Harman TL300 which is rated at 1600-4600sq/ft, but my basement is only 1150sq ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Insulating the sill can do wonders. If its common frame construction, the sill area where your bottom plate sits on the block is a critical heat loss area. Most builders today use a sill wrap insulation. This thin little roll of insulation stops heat transfer from the concrete block to the outside. If they did not use it, a bead of good caulk around the entire sill works wonders. Then insulate with fiberglass the entire perimeter where your floor joists sit on the sill plate, you will see a big difference.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

So I take it you are just using the hot air that is rising and do not have a hot water coil and radiators? If thats the case and you go bigger with the burner, you are eventually going to make it so hot in the basement that its unusable to get the upstairs hot enough. Personally this is the most inefficient way to heat a house

Make sure your sill and any other entry/exit holes for utilities or water lines are sealed. Then I would start with some Rboard on the concrete and start studding placing additional standard insulation over the rboard making sure not to compress the fiberglass. Add your finished wall and bam your basement is finished and your walls are insulated. Will this fix your problem? Who knows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRXnHRsAgGw
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 PM

Put in firing strips and sheets of styrofoam insulation and panel over the walls. I also vented heat - through a fan - into the duct work going upstairs to force more heat out of the basement. I even tied into the cool air return so the air being pulled into the furnace also was warm to begin with,and even hotter air came out of the furnace.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Since you are considering finishing the basement, I would consider framing the interior block walls and insulating the walls. Although you would not need to do this work to code, but if you were to, here are the code requirements for insulating the walls: The block walls that are exposed to the outside would need insulation values or R-19 0r R-2 Ė these walls would need to be framed with 2x6ís in order to install fiberglass batt insulation between the studs.

The block walls that are below grade could be framed with 2x4ís with R-13 batt insulation installed between the studs. A 6-mil vapor barrier (plastic) should be installed on the warm in winter side of the wall only if kraft faced insulation is not being used.

As mentioned above, the joist cavities above the sill plate must be insulated as well, (R-19 insulation placed in the cavity between the joists. Be sure not to compress the insulation, as that will reduce the insulation quality.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 PM

The actual problem is two fold.The wood stove gets combustion air from inside your home,that air goes up the smoke stack.It is then replaced with cold air from outside.So you insulate and seal the house up tight.No more areas for cold air to be pulled in.Wonderfull right?Well no because now you have no combustion air flow so you won't draft the wood stove correctly.What you need to do is seal up the draft areas,insulate and figure out a way to provide outside air directly to the stove from the outside.That is the only way to keep from pulling in cold air or smothering the fire.Look at newer high effiency furnace.You will see two pipes outside near the same place mace of plastic pipe.One is for outside combustion air.That stops the cold air from being pulled in.It still allows for proper combustion as well.What you really need is an outside wood furnace with the heat pumped in.Then you can insulate and feel toasty warm.If you heated with electric you would only be dealing with convection heat loss,which is much easier to correct.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page