The Shack...the hill set to get a shed/camp - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

The Shack...the hill set to get a shed/camp

Well after a couple years of wanting a place to store some tools and work on things at the property and also wanting a little room to hang out in between morning and evening hunts, even spend an overnight on occasion when making the 15 minute ride home just seems too much, or just a place to have some friends up for the day, take a lunchbreak from the property work i love without having to head home… . I pulled the trigger on a building today that will be delivered to the property on Tuesday just in time for the labor Day weekend and our cookout on Sunday.

Part shed, part camp…12x24 with a 8x12 porch (12x32 total) with a small storage loft above the porch that Joey already claimed as his..LOL and a rear double shed door . We are going to build a dividing wall 6’-8 from the back to make a 6-8’x12 shed area accessible by the double doors and a man door from the "camp part", we will box it in so that above that will be another small loft, then the remaining 18x12+porch will be the main hangout area. In a year or so I would like to get a regular 8x12 shed in place further in the woods closer to my work, and then turn the original shed area here may become a bunk room. Or at least that is how it played out today in my head.

It is pretty much a shell so we got options that will decide themselves as we see how usage plays out.

One thing is for sure , I am getting a couple nice chairs for that porch to look out over the feild, apple trees and background hills. Got couches, a kitchen counter and cabinets, Quaker stove, and table for it already in various places.

Planting two food plots tomorrow morning, then off to Lowes to get the blocks, plastic and materials needed for leveling and prep the lot for delivery. There are some things I want to sure up right away once delivered building wise, plus staining ASAP, the rest will just come along as it comes along. I guess I got Sundays for that..

I will update the progress of it as we go along…but it is a dream coming true (short of the original plan of building our house there), 54 acres that hunt real well, and now a little day place to hang my hat or sneak in that cat nap in after a warm bowl of stew for lunch. Close enough to the road we can get there in the winter 9unlike the old log camp up top), but back far enough that dust and traffic is no issue. 15 minutes from the house too.

And for those that are going to ask…it was the cost of HALF of a new ATV including trucking, delivery and set-up.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: The Shack...the hill set to get a shed/camp

Looks great, RB!

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
post #3 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

Wow thats awesome, and at a good price too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Sweet, I would love to have that.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #5 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks really nice...bring those rafter supports down to the header, and you might get a little loft up there. At the very least, you could store ladder stands up there. Toss a wooden ladder up there and those can be bunk beds. Have fun, it looks great.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
post #6 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Guy
Looks really nice...bring those rafter supports down to the header, and you might get a little loft up there. At the very least, you could store ladder stands up there. Toss a wooden ladder up there and those can be bunk beds. Have fun, it looks great.
Yep that is the plan for the back section..right above the shed doors will essentially be the ceiling in the shed, then loft above. No room to waste space.

post #7 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sweet!!
post #8 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Thanks guys!!

Here is where it is going to go...where i am standing is where the rear shed door will be, the porch will be to the right of the cherry tree facing that far hill.

post #9 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:13 AM

looks great, with all sorts of potential. Just a thought, but the higher up the foundation is, the better it will be to repel moisture and eventual rot. I've been told that some folks are putting down heavy poly to keep ground moisture out from underneath.
post #10 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

The shed guy, recommended 4 Mil plastic down then set it up on cement blocks. i think i am getting some 8" and then a few 2" to account for dips etc..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page