Wood Stove Installation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wood Stove Installation

I would like to put a woodstove in my cabin. It's a small cabin with just a loft so ther is a clear path to the roof from the floor.

I got an estimate of $3,800 to put a cinder block chimney in. I don't was to spend a lot of money. I am considering a metalbestos style chimney instead. Does anyone have experience with a metal chiney pipe? Is it a suitable replacement for a block chimney?

Does $3800 sound overpriced for a block chimney?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 AM
The Man

Re: Wood Stove Installation

You can use double or triple wall pipe.It's not cheap but most likely cheaper then the chimney.Here's a link that might help some,

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index...ng_a_woodstove

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My last bid for a block chimney ( Two weeks ago ) was $100 a foot, from a 30 year mason. I paid 7 grand for my custom stone 11 foot wide fireplace, so $3800 for a chimney is highway robbery 101 ! The good metal units are great, pass codes, and are about $1500 or less.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah I would go with the double or triple walled tubes, and then incase it later with fake stone. Before everyone jumps down my throat... you will need to give clearance between the pipe and fake chimney structure.
Also, chimney fires occur because the creosote builds up along the flue joints. No big deal if the joints are tight, but most hand built chimney flues are not. This allows the fire to get outside the flue when you have a chimney fire.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
The Man

6 years ago I had a new roof, drywall, block lined chimney with slate for the woodburner all installed for 4 grand. Guy did a decent job for an awesome price. THIS WAS IN BRADFORD COUNTY.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Part of the Community

$3800.00 seems way too high. I bet you can get triple wall stainless a lot cheaper than that.

COUNTRY TILL I DIE

TR FISHIN4CUTTS

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

it cost me 275 bucks for material for a block chimmney. me and my dad built the chimmney ourselves so i could put a woodstove in our house. why is it costing u 3800 bucks?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys. I get the feeling he was trying to overcharge me. He charged me $6,500 to assemble my cabin kit from Conestoga. It took him less than 2 weeks doing it alone and their were no materials to buy. When I look back he may have overcharged for that too.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

$6500/10 days work.. hmmm.. $650 a day.. hmmm.. $80+ an hour.. hmmm..

Anybody need a Conestoga cabin kit assembled? I have a couple weeks available...

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, that's what I was thinking because all the materials were supplied with the kit so the cost was just for labor.

When he came to give me an estimate for the chimney, he told me he saw a lot of coyote sign on the property and a couple deer carcasses in the woods. He asked if he could come back in deer season to hunt coyotes. When I asked him why he wanted to do his coyote hunting during the deer season he said "well, I like venison too." That's when I realized he was a manipulator and I decided not to use him anymore. He was clearly trying to play up the coyote thing and get me to worry about the deer population and use it as a way to weasel his way onto my land to shoot the same deer that were in so much danger.

Part of my problem finding help is the result of me living 6 hours away. The camp is out of state. Everybody I have come for estimates etc. tries to get permission to hunt. Almost all the men up there hunt and finding a large property with an owner that they know lives 6 hours away is an invitation to trespass. As a result, I try to minimize my contact with the locals. I don't l

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page