Pex pipe for camp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pex pipe for camp?

Hello,
I was wondering if any of you guys use pex pipe for your camp, and if so how does it handle the extreme cold when no one is at camp? I realize it needs drained, but how do the clamps handle the cold to warm when camp members show up and heat the place up?
Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Sage

Re: Pex pipe for camp?

Do your self a favor. Use PVC.

Every generation of the PEX style pipe fails. Then the letters from the class action suits start rolling in.

With PVC you have a easy install and easy repair system if ever needed.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 PM

PVC would crack/burst long before PEX would. PVC isn't even an approved for potable water inside a home. Copper/CPVC/Pex would all need to be drained if the cabin isn't heated during the winter.

I'm assuming by clamps, you are talking about is the rings that hold the fittings to the pipe. Pex is suppoised to last 50 years, the same as copper.

If you had the money, I would do copper. If not, then I would choose PEX over CPVC(Flowguard Gold) for you application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:11 PM
The Man

I have pex in my camp and its better them copper with extreme cold temps. I would not use pvc unless it was a drain line. I am a pipefitter by trade.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Regular Visitor

ya pex is the way to go. never freezes and is durable as a get out.

Crazy J camp, Potter County
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Sage

Most of the plumbing inside my camp is Quest (gray flexible plastic/compression fittings). It takes more punishment than copper, easier to install and fairly bullet proof.

Been there since the mid 80s and the only problems I've had, were problems with "too much help" from others, that messed with my winter draining system. When I've set it up to drain after deer season and no one closed a valve afterwards, no problems.

Even with a few small problems, only had to redo the one or two joints that had popped apart a few times and we're good to go again. Never had a piece of it freeze/break yet.

Only problem: Not sure if they still make it? The hardware store near camp still carries the fittings, though.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quest pipe is no longer made because of the all the house that were ran with it had so many leaks and lawsuits that followed. Quest does make push fit fittings still but not the gray flexible pipe. Pex is the way to go. Cheaper than copper. Won't corrode like copper. Also a heck of a lot easier to fix. As long as you drain it you will have no problems with it. I ran our cabin in Pex and never had a prob yet. I'm a HVAC/plumber by trade and Pex is the way to go.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Pex is the way to go. Easy to install and cheaper then copper. Also people don't break into your camp to steal Pex.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Sage

IIRC, the Quest suits stemmed from those worthless copper crimp ring connections?

I used their compression fittings at camp, because they're easy to take apart for draining, but eventually just drained the system into two outside hydrants.

Pex came about long after I got out of new construction and just concentrated on rental property maintenence, so I've never used any yet. But might use it to replace a bad copper hot water line here at the house?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:27 PM

Gentelemen,
Take the advise of the pipefitter he has been trained in all this technology and uses it everyday in his trade.
All my water lines are copper and all my drainlines are PVC or old copper. Here in Potter/Tioga unless you heat your place in the winter, you must drain your pipes, no matter what you build with, even Pex or eventually its going to freeze and burst. Our place is heated in the winter including the pump house.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page