To buy a camp or not - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

To buy a camp or not

Help me out here guys

I found a camp that appears to be a good deal. Without getting into too much detail here's my (maybe in my head) problem

The place sits on a small lot. There's no septic and it's not been perc tested. It has a electric toilet and full kitchen and bathroom. Large water tank outside for potable water.

Now the rub

The lot may very well prove too small for septic.
Though it has the electric toilet, a camp (by code)cannot have indoor plumbing without a septic system. The gray water is supposed to run to septic. It now is piped onto the ground outside.

I talked to the Township Sewage guy. He said they don't actively look for camps that are not within these codes. But if a anyone complains he'll show up and start the fines etc...

I think this condition describes many camps here in Pa.

Am I Worrying about nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Re: To buy a camp or not

I have - maybe - looked at the same, or very similar camp. I passed. If your camp isn't your idea of "heaven on earth" it will nag you and you will never be happy.

Just my 2 cents.

Terry
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

could be a good starter camp....

Are we at camp yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

just because they don't look now, don't bet it won't change. bedford county where my camp is at now requires septic inspections every 3 years and is making people replace tanks, etc. if you have your doubts whether you can "make it right", i'd steer clear. unless you have no intention of ever doing much and are just looking for a place to sleep and its cheap. but camps tend to "grow" and you may find yourself greatly limited. personally, i'd plan for the future for yourself and kids and maybe look for something a little better to start with.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 PM

not worth the headache....
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Part of the Community

Before you buy, get it perc tested and have some come out and see if what it would take to put a septic system in. It would at least let you know what it would you are up against and you can make an informed decision. May also be able to use it as a negotiating point with the seller.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are a serious buyer, the seller will often help pay for a perc. Its worth it to them to spend a few hundred bucks to get a deal done. Some may disagree, but the last thing I would do is call the sewer guy and ask questions. In my experience, that puts a red flag over your name. I went through one not long ago that had a good perc from years ago. I did the right thing and called them. They came out, refused to honor the old perc., and I had to start all over. Legally, I should have just proceeded with the old approved one. lesson learned. My old cottage had a french drain for 75 years for grey water. I sold it as is, and it still has it today because noone asked if it was " OK ". Keep a tight lip on those matters !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM
The Man

I still recall driving by a faded sign for a development of cabins and summer homes.
The land was all bought by the builders, but nothing was built. None could pass a perc test. And I still remember that faded sign where cabins and summer homes couldn't be built. And so many decades ago, driving on a PA country road.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Buying a camp is well worth it. Buying someone else's problem is not. It should have a second perk test site, if not back out. My father in law has to now pay for sewage. The sewage company was a bargain at first and now they are ridiculous especially since they don't provide water. The bill goes up $15 every year and the toilet probably gets flushed a max of 100xs a year.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Couldn't you just put in a holding tank (the kind you have pumped when it gets full) ??

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page