IS YOUR CAMP CARBON MONOXIDE READY??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

IS YOUR CAMP CARBON MONOXIDE READY???

OK, the subject of CARBON MONOXIDE came up in another post. CO as it is called is one of the most overlooked dangers one can have in a house, or cabin. It is truely a silent killer. Some say that there has to be high levels of CO before it can harm you. Wrong. Low levels and enough time can be just as bad. Some of what I have here you may have read in the other post but I thought it was important that more of you read it so here ya go...

As stated above you don't have to have high levels of CO to be affected. As a firefighter I often respond to CO alarms. I, for some reason, will start getting a headache almost as soon as I walk in if CO is present; even as low as 12ppm (parts per million). But the same thing happens when the MIL cooks.

The standards we use when we respond to such an alarm are: 9ppm for a home. At this level we have the owners open all the windows to start airing out the home. If we can not determine what the cause of the CO is, we will notify the gas company who can usually pinpoint the problem or atlteast get a lot closer with their equipment. If we see ppm's around 20 & up we start considering evacuation of the home until the problem can be resolved. We see people with headaches at these ppm's after a few hours of exposure all the time.

In commerical settings we use 35ppm as our "worry" number. Commerical settings get a higher ppm rating due to it being based on 8 hours of exposure. Many businesses produce CO from their line of work (ie. mills, weld shops, etc)

I have seen the negitive effects of CO many times over the years. The township east of mine has a memorial for a grand mother & I believe it was 3 grandchildren who never woke up. That was before CO detectors & I bet people around there still don't have them. This still happens today & there is no need for it.

Below are some links that really explain this & how CO affects the body.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/co-comp/

Ambient Air/Residential Settings
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has established an ambient (outdoor) CO air quality Federal standard of 9 ppm for an 8-hour exposure and 25 ppm for a short-term (1-hr) exposure [EPA 1991a]. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff recommends that long-term exposures to CO in indoor environments be limited to less than 15 ppm as an 8-hour TWA and 25 ppm for 1 hour, but product-specific recommendations for CO may vary depending on expected usage patterns and exposure.

Workplace/Industry
The current Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) permissible exposure limit (PEL) for CO is 50 ppm as an 8-hour time-weighted average (TWA) [29 CFR 1910.1000*]. The NIOSH recommended exposure limit (REL) for CO is 35 ppm as an 8-hour TWA and a ceiling limit (CL) of 200 ppm [NIOSH 1992]. The NIOSH recommended immediately dangerous to life and health concentration (IDLH) for CO is 1,200 ppm. The IDLH is the concentration that could result in death or irreversible health effects, or prevent escape from the contaminated environment within 30 minutes. The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) has adopted a threshold limit value (TLV) for CO of 25 ppm as an 8-hour TWA [ACGIH 1992a].

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/carbon2.html

I hope this causes all of you to go buy CO detectors for your house &/or cabin. Let's wake to hunt again!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Opening day ain't the same without friends to share it with!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">NRA Life Member</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Re: IS YOUR CAMP CARBON MONOXIDE READY???

Good info, we have a co2 detector at camp but it's junk.

Any recommendations on a good one for reasonable cost

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATERDAVID

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidde-Smok...Alarm/10910787

I have several of these in my house........they seem to work very well

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
Quote:

How many of those do you reccomend in our 10x40 trailer and placement? Thanks.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
Quote:

How many of those do you reccomend in our 10x40 trailer and placement? Thanks.
I would put 1 in each room and get them close to the center of the room on the ceiling. If it is pretty open you could probably get away with 2 evenly spaced in the building.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

Tater, a CO2 detector would detect fire extinguishers.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

We had one but I never trusted it. I could have all the windows open door open and no heating sorce on and it would go off. We will be getting some better units this year.

Even though morning often comes to soon at our camp we still want it to come.

Great advice on getting one. I like those combo units. We could probobly get by with 2 but 3 would be better if we have guest in the back room.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

God Bless America
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

We probobly should buy a couple new fire extinguishers too. Outs are pretty old.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

God Bless America
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Sage

I have a Kidde at camp, think it cost around $35 last year?

One thing to consider is that they do not last forever. I've heard anywhere from 3 years to 5 years, under "constant" use. Neither do smoke detectors last forever, for that matter. The first CO detector we had at home, lasted about 4 years and it was shot.

Went over 25 years without a CO detector at camp, but the window right next to the woodstove is always open about an inch at the bottom, to provide "combustion air" for the stove. Anything that burns uses up oxygen in an enclosed space, so the window stays open to provide fresh air.

CO is generally produced by inefficient combustion and/or a blocked vent/chimney condition, whether it be from a wood or gas appliance. Another issue can be a generator running near a dwelling and introducing CO (exhaust) into the building.

I always make sure the stove chimney isn't blocked, before firing the stove. It's a double wall SS insulated chimney and isn't prone to creosote build up, but I check it anyway to make sure some varmint hasn't nested in the top.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I just bought a couple, First Alert I think, They are BOTH CO & Fire detectors. They actually talk and say what they are detecting. They were around $35 a piece...cheap price to make sure my family wakes up!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Opening day ain't the same without friends to share it with!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">NRA Life Member</span>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page