Roof Help??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Roof Help???

I'm hoping to get some advise from you folks. Dad called me this eve and he has two quotes for our detached garage roof at camp.

The quotes are to install a metal roof but here's the question??? One guy wants to remove the very old curled up moss covered shingles and the other guys wants to install the roof over top of the mossy shingles.

I do know that some of the roof plywood does get wet under the shingles cuz I can see the water stains on the exposed roof in the garage.

The difference between removing old shingles and letting shingles on is $800. Is it neccessary to remove the old shingles???

One quote stated.... to install a metal roof with (treated perlins on 24" of center) whatever that means. I guess that the wooden laths that the roof attaches to...

Thank you in advance for your responses!!

bootmud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Roof Help???

$2800
vs
$2000
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Part of the Community

Get rid of the old shingles if you can afford it! Also, treated lumber should not make contact with the metal. The chemicals in the treated will corrode the metal and it will rust from under the panel. If treated is used, felt paper should be placed between the metal and the lumber! In my opinion, regular lumber is fine for the purlins. How big is roof and where are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You cannot put the metal DIRECTLY on top of the shingles, the old shingles will wear holes in the new metal. You can, however, strip the old roof with 1 X 4 or 6 hemlock boards, then install the new metal over that. I have done that many, many times with no issues ever. The metal will outlast you, and saving $800 is a good thing. Just make sure your guy is stripping out the old roof with new slats and you will be fine.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I just installed another metal roof this past weekend. By all means, strip the old shingles off. You want to get rid of any trapped moister and rot that is in there. Treated lumber won't be necessary for the purlins; standard fir will work fine. However, I would cut strips of the old sheeting back at the bottom and at the top so air can circulate between the sheeting and the metal roof. ROOFS NEED CIRCUALTION!! You should never have a problem with it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Opening day ain't the same without friends to share it with!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">NRA Life Member</span>
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlehead
I just installed another metal roof this past weekend. By all means, strip the old shingles off. You want to get rid of any trapped moister and rot that is in there. Treated lumber won't be necessary for the purlins; standard fir will work fine. However, I would cut strips of the old sheeting back at the bottom and at the top so air can circulate between the sheeting and the metal roof. ROOFS NEED CIRCULATION!! You should never have a problem with it.
+1 on Nozzlehead's advice.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 AM

yep Boot I use to buy and sell roofing for a lumber company. If the roof didn't have moss and the shingles were laying flat it would not be a problem putting it on top of shingles. If you read the manufactures installation they will say they require you to lath it out and the lath MUST be screwed into the rafters but the only reason for the lath is to make sure the metal roofing is secured to the "bones" of the structure. I see no reason to lath over flat laying shingles if the plywood or 1x sub roofing layer is strong and in good shape provided the proper length screw is used. If you are going to lath it out and not make sure the lath is screwed into the rafters it is a waste of time and money. It's no different then just screwing the metal directly to subroof layer.

But what nozzle said is the best way to install a metal roof.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 AM

I'm another for removing all the old singles. You be happy you did in the long run. Not to mention they can and will hold moisture. Do you know the condition of the sheeting on the roof? You may need to replace this. IMO if only the first layer of the plywood is bad than you can get away with it, but more than that you really should replace it.

Do you have a ridge vent?

Do you have a gable vent?

Any valleys?

Happen to know the pitch of your roof?

Do you want to put anything for sound dampening?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses, they are all very helpful. I conveyed this info to my father who is retired and he is taking over from here since his is not moving a warp speed like myself most of the time...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

if nothing else get rid of the moss

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page