McKean Co. Camps - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: McKean Co. Camps

Let's take this back up...

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

kswiggy,

To my understanding the camps in McKean are cheaper than Potter. I don't know about Tioga county. Taxes are cheaper in McKean than Potter to. I live in McKean and camp in potter, both are beautiful counties, but the potter county people are the friendliest people in the state IMO.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #13 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Regular Visitor

What area near Port is your camp? On 155? I grew up in Port, right in town. Great place to grow up as a kid and now that I am older an wiser, great place to live!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Our Camp is 3.5 miles back Scaffold Lick Rd., near the State Gamelands. Port Allegany is one of my favorite small towns. Do you know Chet Clark?

This is who we are. This is what we do.
post #15 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Our camp is just outside of Kane just before the Col. Inn on rt6. I've hunted up there since 1990. I wish we still had the 3 day doe season. The deer herd is nothing like it used to be. I remember sitting in my stand on opening day and seeing 75 deer before noon. I'm sure some were the same just running back through but it sure was fun seeing them. It used to be if you didn't have a parking spot atleast an hour before sun up, good luck finding one close to where you wanted to be. Anymore you don't even hear another truck driving in. Now, all the old wells are running again & all the old overgrown roads are opened back up so a lot of the areas are really changed. I haven't hunted up there for a couple of years now but I might try it again this year. It was just getting too depressing; sitting there seeing nothing & thinking of seasons past. I remember 3 of us all filling our buck tags within 30 minutes of each other. Sure they weren't bruisers but we weren't looking to make the record books. We just wanted to see deer, maybe tag one, get back to camp with all the guys, drinks a few cold ones & tell stories. None of us cared if we saw the 30 pointer, though we did take some dandies; even back then. We were Pa deer hunters carring on a tradition. The last time I hunted opening day, half the camps were empty. Guys don't take their kids anymore. Kids want to see deer. I'm lucky. My son hunted a few times up there with me & rarely saw a deer. Last year he tagged his first deer ever right here at home (ohio). I was talking to him the other day & I asked him where he would rather hunt opening day this year. He said Pa, thats deer camp. He just loves being in the big woods. Hopefully he'll be able to get away from collage for a couple of days. We can't wait!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Opening day ain't the same without friends to share it with!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">NRA Life Member</span>
post #16 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Mtnboy is my neighbor, on top of the mnt. from me...Scaffold Lick Hollow....

post #17 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:45 PM
New Arrival

I have a camp in Betula, off rt46.My dad has been up here since the early 50s. We have had our camp since "75"
post #18 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Does anyone in the Sackett hollow area know who has the Woodland hunt club?
I think that it is close to the Scaffold Lick Hollow Rd.
Thanks
post #19 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnboy
Our Camp is 3.5 miles back Scaffold Lick Rd., near the State Gamelands. Port Allegany is one of my favorite small towns. Do you know Chet Clark?
Mntboy,
I know Chet Clark enough to recognize him (he put a cluth in my old truck). We used to ride dirt bikes up at the pits when I was a kid. Maybe I shouldn't be admitting to that? Ha ha ha I haven't been up in that area Scaffold Lick in a long time.
post #20 of 1971 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Dirt bikes, home made dune buggies from VW beetles, you name it.. They all ran the spoil banks and pits on top of Scaffold lick. Guys came in from both sides, 155 and 46.. We used to ride across into Crosby in the evening looking at tons of deer. Times sure have changed.. Our place was purchased in 1961.. Lots of history for us in that piece of country...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page