McKean Co. Camps - Page 184 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1831 of 2036 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Valentino View Post
Folks on a Port Allegany Facebook page were reporting air temps at their houses as low as -20 the other day. It sure is bitter cold. Not sure of the accuracy of their thermometers , no matter it is not fit to be out in.
Anybody to camp this weekend? What are the ANF roads like around Westline area. Need to get to camp and get outside. Thanks

camp in A.N.F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2036 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Wake up McKean County camp owners.... awful quiet here this month..... Small game after Christmas was a frozen , bitter unsuccessful endeavor I was informed.

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
post #1833 of 2036 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's been a long time since I posted on this thread. The first time was in 2006 when I killed one of my biggest bucks to date in McKean. I still make it up about twice a year, mainly the first week of rifle. I usually only hunt the first few days. With the exception of me, our camp is getting up there in age, but we still have a great time. We average a buck on the meatpole about every 2-3 years. Not great results but we have a great time. Lots of good food and beer with the camp owner being a 91 year old WW2 veteran, that I might add, still hunts. The last several years have been more about the camaraderie surrounding him and his stories rather than success in the woods. A buck for the camp is just icing on the cake.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 2036 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaPa hunter View Post
It's been a long time since I posted on this thread. The first time was in 2006 when I killed one of my biggest bucks to date in McKean. I still make it up about twice a year, mainly the first week of rifle. I usually only hunt the first few days. With the exception of me, our camp is getting up there in age, but we still have a great time. We average a buck on the meatpole about every 2-3 years. Not great results but we have a great time. Lots of good food and beer with the camp owner being a 91 year old WW2 veteran, that I might add, still hunts. The last several years have been more about the camaraderie surrounding him and his stories rather than success in the woods. A buck for the camp is just icing on the cake.
Good for you guys. Nice to hear that some people think the past is also important. Have not been to camp was going today on a turn and burn but woke up to ice on the sidewalk at 5:00a.m. this morning. Maybe next weekend. Thanks

camp in A.N.F.
post #1835 of 2036 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Part of the Community

We were at camp this weekend. Smoked a couple turkey breasts and cooked up some perch. Soft opening, just carried water rather than turn o the spring. Great to be at camp. Deer looked good, heard some coyotes , didn't find any sheds though. Dinner at the Bucktail Friday.
post #1836 of 2036 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Regular Visitor

Goosechaser: Is the Bucktail on Rt. 46 between Smethport and Emporium????

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - SOMEONE PAID!!! ALL GAVE SOME - SOME GAVE ALL!!!
post #1837 of 2036 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoman View Post
Goosechaser: Is the Bucktail on Rt. 46 between Smethport and Emporium????
Yes, and pretty good food.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #1838 of 2036 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Part of the Community

That's the place!!! Owner Marks a nice guy. Food is good and its only about 4 miles from camp.
post #1839 of 2036 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:18 AM
Regular Visitor

We are in Wrights and looking for some place to eat besides the Seneca. Will give the Bucktail a try next time we are in town. What kind of menu do they have????

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - SOMEONE PAID!!! ALL GAVE SOME - SOME GAVE ALL!!!
post #1840 of 2036 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:46 PM

You can't beat wing night Wednesdays and fish night Friday at Keating Summit (used to be the Forest House) on Rt. 155.

This is who we are. This is what we do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page