Looking for info on old deer camps and cabins - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Looking for info on old deer camps and cabins

I'm an avid vintage beer can collector (pre-1960) and would be interested in any insight into old deer camp, fishing camp, farm or cabin dumps that could contain a pile of old beer cans. I'd be willing to dig some if needed to get to any older cans. You would just have to point me in the general area (or a big pile of rust) and I'd enjoy a chance to go through the pile. I would love for a chance to collect up some of the old cans that litter the forests in your area if you or any of your fellow hunters can point me towards some old dumps that you might have seen. I'd also be willing to look under old buildings, in attics and in barns for old cans. I will be sure to respect any property and ensure that it is made safe for hunters to continue to enjoy. I'd be willing to make a valued donation to your hunting or deer camp for any leads that pan out.
I'd retired Army living in Florida but would be willing to travel anywhere with a confirmed lead on a location. I'd like to bring a friend with whenever possible to be able to get through the area quicker and safer. You can contact me (Keith) 813 679-2690 [email protected] or Steve 954 747-8657 [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Looking for info on old deer camps and cabins

i have 2 harly daytona cans (82) sitting i might sell. still full too.

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

I collect the more recent beer cans. Just yesterday I collected another 24 cans. hahahaha

Camp Longbeard, Cross Fork, Potter County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

24 pony cans???
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i hear empty busch cans are bringing 60 cents a pound. might have to switch brands.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I just wanted to bump this topic back to the top. I'll be home to Pa (25 Aug - 2 Sept) and was hoping to find some dumps around the Bushkill area. I'd welcome any leads on cabins or deer camps that might be in the area that might have some piles of rusty cans around.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithker
I just wanted to bump this topic back to the top. I'll be home to Pa (25 Aug - 2 Sept) and was hoping to find some dumps around the Bushkill area. I'd welcome any leads on cabins or deer camps that might be in the area that might have some piles of rusty cans around.
There is alot of camps in that area but alot are on State Forest and the state used to keep after the cabin owners to keep the lease sites picked up...you don't see many old dump piles around the SFL camps.

Evvery so often you spot the rusitng remains of a can in the woods...

I'd check w/ the owners of the few old 'farmsteads' in the area and scout the old summer camps if you can get access.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Wis Bang thanks for the feedback. I feared that many of the piles were likely covered up. I've spoken with other farmers in the central eastern Pa region that told me they were pretty much told to cover over all of their piles with dirt or face fines. I scrubbed a 1940s topo map and planned to chat with plenty of the home owners that had structures on location since the mid 40s.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithker
Wis Bang thanks for the feedback. I feared that many of the piles were likely covered up. I've spoken with other farmers in the central eastern Pa region that told me they were pretty much told to cover over all of their piles with dirt or face fines. I scrubbed a 1940s topo map and planned to chat with plenty of the home owners that had structures on location since the mid 40s.
Same thing happened around my dad's place in upper Bucks. As the piles were bulldozed the remaining ones grew until the farmers fenced out the locals.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page