Camp Heating Source!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Camp Heating Source!!

Hoping to be in my new camp before hunting season. 450 sq.ft open ceiling concept. Question is: can I successfully heat this space with one (1) electric wall heater? I currently use fuel oil, but want to eliminate the fuel oil. Wood is out...I'm getting to old to worry about wood. So electric wall heater or base board heating is what I'm looking at. I might opt for a ventless propane heater in the event of a power outage. Thoughts? Suggestions. Thanks

A government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Bum
Regular Visitor

Re: Camp Heating Source!!

The first thing I would do is install a ceiling fan to circulate the air and bring the heat downward. Before investing in any permanent fixture, try using small ceramic 110V portable heaters. You might need to have 3 or 4 on hand but only use what you need depending on how cold it gets. I had a 960 sq. ft camp with regular ceilings and a basement. I installed a forced air furnace and a low temperature thermostat so I cold keep air moving when I wasn't there without wasting a lot of electricity. I found that during hunting season one ceramic heater in the living room, and one in the bedroom was more than I needed to keep it around 70 degrees. Give it a try with just two of them in the fall and see how they work for you. Also, during the summer months I would put a box fan on a timer along with a dehumidifier 3 hours per day to keep it free of musty odors. My camp was also new and with these inexpensive units it still smelled like new when I sold it last year after 4 years of use.

Bum
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Sage

My Sullivan County camp is appox 520 sq ft(uninsulated) and I have a LP ventless Comfort Glow 30K BTU wall mounted heater<span style="font-weight: bold">(like below) </span>& it does an oustanding job!! Plus throws a decent amount of light if elec power fails in addition to reliable heat..electric power or no power. My area winter storms frequently knock out elec power. I have an outside 420 LB(100 gal) tank and in average use during entire hunting & ice fishing season(ave 50-60 days of use) only ever use approx 1/2- 3/4 pending winter temp range. Also have gas range hooked to propane tank.

Only way to go IMO.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Sage

My buddy has a 16x32 camp in VW and we only use a wall mounted propane heater ,it is one large room and we are there on Thanksgiving week........
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

I use two of the heaters loggy has in my cabin in potter, it was built in the 40s with no insulation and once the cabin gets to proper temp we can run them pretty low and keep it nice and warm .Also agree with the loose of power if you loose power you can light it with a match if needed, I wouldn't count one hundred percent on electric heat I would want some kind of back up.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Sage

We use the same, except Nat Gas.

I also think, like stated above, the Pelonis heaters might be an idea before anything permanent is done. $20 per heater, hard to beat.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you go with electric baseboard heat you use a formula of ten watts of heat per sq foot of space your trying to heat so you will need 4500 watts of heat but if you have old windows and other areas of heat loss you will need more
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Regular Visitor

I think that what ever you do won't be cheap but consider a backup.I heat primarily with wood which you're not interested in but if the small heaters I have in the bedrooms don't have power I put another log on the fire.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

We are thinking about a camp without a woodstove, using one section of electric baseboard that will be thermostatically controlled to satisfy the insurance company's requirement for thermostatically controlled heat source. The guys wanted to avoid a woodstove since that was what burned down the other camp. I'm afraid that a gas heater such as what Loggy suggested would also be out for that reason.

Camp without a woodstove for heating is just not the same to me. There is just something about burning wood that appeals to me, and we have plenty of it on the property for just a bit of work. I'm going to work on the guys a bit on this one.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Sage

Mutt...most are thermostatically controlled plus all kinda safety features built-in.

I had my LP supplier install plus they safety recertified when I exchanged my older tank out last year.

<span style="font-weight: bold">GWP30TA - (LP) Propane heater
Thermostat Control Operation
Wall Mount heater
Save on heating costs. The 99% heating efficient designs require no outside venting, so all the heat stays in the room.
A vent free blue flame heater provides easy, economical installation, with no vent or chimney required, and a built in pressure regulator, installation is an easy job*. (*Professional installation recommended)
Safe and clean burning, the Glo Warm blue flame heater is design certified by the American Gas Association and meet or exceed all government safety performance standards.
A dual purpose safety pilot system protects against oxygen depletion and any interruption in the fuel supply. If either occurs, the gas is shut off to the burner, turning the heater off.
Provides heat during power outages. No electricity required, making this blue flame heater ideal as back up emergency heat.
Clean, quiet, odorless operation
Easy to use top mounted controls
Push button ignition. No matches required.
Decorative safety grill and tinted glass
Low heat 15,000 BTU's
High heat 30,000 BTU's
Heater Dimensions 24.5" H x 25.5" W x 8" D </span>

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page