New floor in cabin - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

New floor in cabin

Putting down new subfloor and new floor covering. What will work in cabin that is not heated all the time? Wood ,Linoleum,laminate flooring?Going to put down new tounge and groove plywood on top of wood plank sub floor. Any suggestion or comment will help. Thanks Blacksmith

camp in A.N.F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New floor in cabin

I love hardwood if you can swing the cost. Real, nail down T&G hardwood for a cabin is sweet. Laminate is cheap and easy, but it looks cheap and easy. Linoleum is easiest to clean, but not easy to install if you don't know what you are doing. Hardwood gets my vote !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have two composite floors in the house and love them. if i couldn't have hardwood i'd have them. linolium would be almost my last choice. mother in law insisted on carpet. what a mess

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 AM

Laminate works well. cleans up nice. We have lots of real hardwood in our house and dogs and kids put tons of scratches in it. Cabin has laminate and more dogs and kids and still looks new. Easy to clean too.

UBP & NRA Lifetime Memeber
Lancaster County
USMC Sgt/E-5 1993-1997
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 AM
The Man

Utility Oak flooring...a little over $1 a square foot and took one weekend to put in and one to finish with high build poly (3 coats)

Putting Resource First
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm going up this weekend to put laminate in my cabin. We tore the carpet up 2 weeks ago. Now I know where the musty cabin smell comes from. I'll still have carpet in the bedrooms.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Part of the Community

I would never put down hardwood or laminate in a camp unheated for most of the time. I work in a manufacturing plant and we have problems with both when houses sit in the storage yard unheated. I have a camp and installed wood look lino 4 years ago and have no problems at all. I only heat the camp when we are there. I would go with the lino!! No doubt about it!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 AM
The Man

I have no problems at all with that hardwood flooring we installed. Its only heated when we are there. Just need to have it temp aclimated and not in a stack pile when you go to install it.
Still as good as when we first installed it, never an issue. I admit, I am a hardwood floor type of person though. I like laminate, but if it tears, its done. Wood can be refinished with a sander and poly JMHO

Putting Resource First
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Regular Visitor

I have Congolium that looks like lifes2fun's floor and no problems.It's a little soft and dents from the chairs legs but I don't care. My friends thought it was real wood.No dogs,kids,to tear it up and scratch it.The heavy appliances are in place and are not planned to be moved so that's it. It ain't perfect but it's a camp and there's only one person I gotta please....ME.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 AM

I used 1" marine plywood as subfloor, then installed 1" Argentina Pine that was salvaged from a river in South America. I was able to buy it at an auction from a high end furniture manufacture. I bought almost a full tractor trailer load for cents on the dollar. Big problem was shipping it to my camp. There was more than enough to even make all my trim, ceiling beams and kitchen counter tops

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page