Local Yocals - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Local Yocals

Weve all heard the expression used before in one form or another relating to the local people that live by camp. I wanted to start a thread dedicated to them, on their behalf, maybe its a friend you have made, someone who has helped you out in a jam, the town drunk, your neighboor, whoever, its their time to shine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:54 AM

Re: Local Yocals

The only thing shining about him was the flashlight he used to break in and steal the motor out of the riding mower.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

For me this one is easy. Bill Scherer AKA Bobcat Billy the former owner of Cougar Bobs. I became great friends with Bill through my times spent at camp and his bar. He welcomed me into his home and over the years we enjoyed alot of great times together. I lost my friend in a tradgic accident one afternoon just down the road from that very same bar we became friends in many years ago. He was truely my "FRIEND".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

John, Yvonne, Kenny and Doris in Conrad have kept an eye on my place since I bought it. From lawn mowing to borrowing some tools, I don't know what I would do without them. They have keys to the place and will even open it up and put the heat on when I'm on my way to camp.

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have to tip my hat to Tony at the wagon wheel. Definitely not the most talkative guy but we've known him for decades and I love the fact his bar never changes. I love going there as it reminds me of the days when hunters and fisherman were the only ones who knew about that special place called Pine Creek Valley. With all the changes up there to cater to those from the cities I sure do miss those times. I used to feel like it was a different place and time up there and I was getting away from everything, not so much anymore.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

On the other hand...there are some locals that love to stick it Especially when it comes to paying someone to get some work done around the place. I've had some verbal agreements to do work for $500 end up costing me $1000 by the time things were done. I know that it is my fault for not getting it in writing. I guess I just still have faith that all the residents of Potter County are good, hardworking people. I also have found that no one wants to do any work when I need it done. I remember calling 10 people around the county to throw a deck on the camp for me so I could spend less time working and more time fishing. Only 1 guy actually called me back with an estimate. And, he gave me an estimate on the deck that he wanted to build, not what I asked him to build.

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ever think that calling them yocals has an effect on their attitude toward you as well. why would i build a deck for you if you have no respect for the residence of the area. think they like being called yocals?

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This got me thinking of our 2 camp thugs that have virtually/ literally destroyed a good family camp over the years. both on probation and prolly back in jail soon any how Hi fellas wut a waste of human life!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Sage

Well, it's "yokels" and I have much better pet names for my camp neighbors, than that. Most of which can't be posted here. Nor how they refer to me.

I get along well with most of them, probably because I have kin in the area and have been around there since I was a little twerp.

A cousin that lives across the valley, looks after my place as far as cutting the grass, cutting firewood and keeping an eye on things. Other neighbors are vigilant as well.

Some of the neighbors are new. Like the ones down the road that just moved there a few years ago from downstate. Fine folks and already "adopted" by the residents. Next closest neighbors in the other direction, are locals that I've know for many years, also great people.

Ya want a good neighbor, then be one yourself. Pretty much how it works where my camp is. I've borrowed stuff from my neighbors for years and vice versa. I once offended a farmer because I stuffed a $20 bill in the valve handle of a gas cylinder, when I borrowed his torch to install my well pump at camp and put the burning outfit back in his shop with money attached to it.

A bud of mine that owns a camp south of Galeton, was cheerfully refered to over there by the locals, as their pet flatlander. They've all hunted bear/deer together for at least 30 years. He's helped them, they've helped him for many years, so all is well.

Even the crankiest neighbor I have, is fairly agreeable (for him), since I've helped him and his clan a few times. Towed his grandson's Polaris Ranger home two years ago when the drive belt broke about two miles from their farm.

Last fall I stopped to help ol' cranky hisself, when he was struggling with the tarps on his round bale pile. Now and then he even waves when we pass.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
Ya want a good neighbor, then be one yourself.
These are words worth repeating. I've always try to treat everyone as I want to be treated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page