Electric Service - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Electric Service

Well after 16 years of looking for a camp, we finally found what we were looking for and bought 5 acres of land. Now the work begins, have to start with cutting in driveway n clearing land, I was wondering what approx cost to get electric service started. Need 1 pole to cross road then about 800-900 foot of line, preferably underground. Just looking for
ballpark. Elk/Cameron county border.

Carve your successes in stone ,
Leave your failures in the sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM

Re: Electric Service

Big Redneck could give you an idea.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We had service put in our Bradford co. camp last year. We were lucky that the property next door had the powerline run along our common border. Penelec charged us about $3000 for the transformer and wiring ,roughly 150feet to the meter panel. We paid about $500 for the trenching by an excavator and about $1300 for the electrician to install a mounting panel,meter and service panel and hookup/inspection. If you did the trenching,conduit and mounting panel yourself you can save about a grand $

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 03:48 PM

A buddy recently had electric service run to his cabin. He was given a price and then told by the engineer at the power company that he could not do the trench himself, that he would have to use a contractor approved by the power company. It cost him nearly $12k to put it in. I think he was snookered by the power company engineer. But the line had to go back a third of a mile through rocky terrain. (All on his property, no ROW required)

I would have looked into some alternative power system.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 03:59 PM

Gentlemen,
New Electric service can be expensive, the longer the drop the more money it costs.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I learned the hard way years ago when running electric to a property that I bought cost more than the property did. Good Luck.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM

I did all my own work, paid $60 for an inspection, REA supplied the transformer, pole and primary line. Cost me about $200 for materials. Line from cabin to REA transmission line was about 150 feet this line was supplied by REA. Call your local utility office if it is REA you may be surprised how affordable it may be.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM
The Man

First thing you have to do is find out what utility serves your camp. If it a First Energy company it will cost you big bucks if it is a Co-op it will save you a ton of money.

Costs for the Co-Op that am retired from are=
Overhead first 300' free then $10.50 per foot if their is cutting, $6.60 per foot with no cutting.
This includes poles, wire, anchors and the transformer. They must be able to get digger trucks to the pole locations. Measurement goes from the existing line to your meter.

Primary underground, $525 for the first 300' and $15.75 per foot thereafter. YOU dig the ditch, they supply wire (wire is already in conduit.

I would never go more that 300' from the transformer to the meter, even that is streching it. With any large load (heat, water heater, range)you will have voltage drop problems when you go over 200' IMO. Voltage drop problems (low voltage)burns up equipment.

Some utilities will give you a certian amount of "free footage" before they charge. With the limited usage in a camp it takes a lot of years for a payback so you can understand their thinking.

You can expect to pay a contractor about $4 to $5 per amp for the service. Service on the outside includes entrance, meter socket inside breaker box with 1 breaker and gfi recept.

!00 amp $400 or $500, 200 amp $800 to $1000.

There are a ton of things that change that price upward, conduit masts, height of buildings etc.

With the new codes requiring Arcfault breakers when you do the inside work it can get costly if you follow code. Arcfaults are $40 and up per breaker.

Electrical inspections start about $75 and go up.

Hope that helps

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM
The Man

....my advice would be to go with a 200 A service ...pay a little extra now....because five years down the line if you plan to expand or possibly make it your "home" later in the future you'll pay probably triple.

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page