Anyone have a lake put in at there camp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Anyone have a lake put in at there camp?

Just wondering if anyone has any info on installing a lake. we just had a guy come out and give us a price of $6000-$8000 to dig a lake/pond about 125 x 125. and as deep as law will allow , which im told is a max of 15 feet. we are located in venango county. i havent met with the guy yet just talked on the phone and he went over to look at it while we wernt there. i was thinking about $5000 would be right and its kinda the budget we were looking to hold but we are willing to go higher if thats what it takes. any info on lake install/ upkeep would be great. Thanks.

"some might call that sky bustin, i call it optimisam"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Anyone have a lake put in at there camp?

Don't forget to talk to DEP and local conservation district to get proper permitting if needed. Don't want to start excavation and end up with a fine since you don't have proper permitting.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 PM

"rrroae" member here, had a pond put in quite a bit larger. Very nice. I don't think the 6-8K for 1/3 acre with 15' is out of line. A lot of other factors tho.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

as far as permiting we were told as long as its not more than 100 acres ,no more than 15' deep and not on moving water than a permit is not required. this info was from a local golf course owner and the guy giving us the quote. i will indeed make a call to the local dep office before we break ground just to be safe.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

i also dont think the price is outta line either and to me when its done will be priceless.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Charger, any chance they may hit rock when they are digging? Moving rock can get cost prohibitive quickly.
Many guys have the equipment to dig... The compaction is important too. Do you have enough clay to line the pond?
I think the 100 acres has to do with the watershed area not the size of the pond.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

i know the issues with hitting rock and such and how it can effect price. as for the clay i know when we dug out for the camp it was all hard clay but that was only 5 feet at the deepest . as for holding water i dug 3 hole is 3 diffrent spots about 4 feet deep and they all hold water all year round and all winter long and early spring they are full. i did this about 3-4 years ago . theres water comming off the hill behind camp little springs and the feild we plan on doing this in has a swampy spot 9 months out of the year. the guy also said he was going to dig some test hole first when we come to an agreement to make sure we have the soil for it. as for the 100 acres you could be right i dont know to much about that i know 100 acres was mentioned and thought it had to do with the size of the lake. thanks for the input so far guys keep it coming.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 PM

"swampy spots" make good ponds but if you get caught digging a pond in a wetland you'll prolly wish you hadn't. I'd check with whatever local agency you can
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I built a pond with 1/2 acre of surface water for 4000. Max depth is 11 feet. Cost is all about how many yard of material have to be moved. Mine looked like a pond should be there but the dam construction was still extensive.
Avoid wetlands. Don't touch existing streams. Drain less than 100 acres. And ask before you start.

I miss my hunting partner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page