Heading back to Camp. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Heading back to Camp.

After over a year away I have finally made up my mind that it is time. My Wife and I had been taking care of my ailing Father since November 2010. This past January he passed away.
I had made many plans over the last couple months to head to Camp but always found a reason not to go.
I think the real reason was that I was not ready to face camp alone so to speak. Whether or not Dad was there he was always waiting to get the report of my visits. We shared many great hunting and fishing adventures at camp as I have been going since I was born some 40 odd years ago. The first time I ever seen my Dad shed a tear was in 1977 when I harvested my first deer. I have since come to understand the overwhelming emotion as I have been by the side of my own children when they got their first.
Anyways I have made my commitment to get back there this weekend. There will be no backing out. I will spend the time doing what I need to do. I will reflect on the memories. I will purposely sit outside at dusk and listen to the peacefulness I will miss Dad and wish he were there. I will also be very thankful to him for always taking me to camp and instilling his love for it in me.
Yes. This weekend I am going to camp. Its time.

born country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 AM
RB
Sage

Re: Heading back to Camp.

TrapperB, I am so sorry to here about your Dad. I saw your ID here and thought " now there is a good friend I have not heard from in awhile". I am sorry we have to catch up on such news, my thoughts and prayers are truly with you tonight.

The reason we do all we do together in life is to survive one's death on memories made. GOD bless you and yours, and although life without your Dad will not be like life with him. I think you will find this weekend , he is there and always will be.

Good to see you back on the board. I wish you the best most meaningful camp trip of your life. Look skyward and talk to him as if he is over your shoulder watching you aim that .22 for the first time. Hunting Dad's don't die, that is why we do what we do. Keep making him proud.

John

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 AM

Your dad will be there bud. Trust me he will be and he would want you to be. I hope you have a great time and embrase the memories of the past and the memories to be made in the future. It's what camp is all about. He would want you there. To some of us in this world it is our life blood and is a must for us to have happiness in our lives. Go and enjoy yourself and have a safe trip.

Honesty is my only excuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Sorry for your loss. I've often wondered what that trip you're about to take may someday be like for me. Hundreds of camp trips since '75...I can only think of 4-5 without my dad.

I have CDO, its like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order the way they should be.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

I maybe up there this weekend I haven't decided yet. Might be a spur of the moment deal. Last time I was up your camp looked fine. If I go up I will Walk over and say hey.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 11:08 AM

I am sad for your loss. Dad is gone physically but not spiritually, he will be with you always. I want to say I have the utmost respect for you and your wife for taking care of Dad so he could pass at home with his family. That is a very difficult thing to do, physically and emotionally. My wife and I are about to do the same for her Father. We are not looking forward to a tremendous task such as this and pray we are up to helping our dear loved one in leaving this world filled with love, respect, dignity and peace.....and at home where he wants to be.

Enjoy your time at camp............Dad would want nothing less for you.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemry27
Sorry for your loss. I've often wondered what that trip you're about to take may someday be like for me.
Same as Hemry said. Chokes me up a little bit to think of it.

Sorry for your loss. Go to camp and soak it up. Enjoy it. Think of all the times you had there together. I can guarantee you will crack several smiles thinking of those times.

2F for a while...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Go there, its what he would want you to do. I never got to share my cabin with my dad. Go and enjoy what you have shared through the years.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sorry for your loss.

I was doing repairs at camp after dad was hospitalized.

Yes his passing did create a huge void that I filled by taking his rifle and his flintlock and his 22 to camp as often as I can.

The only time I saw his final 'resting' place was his funeral. I go to camp and think of him. First turkey season after his funeral, only a week or so after his passing, I sat w/ my friend Billy and we polished off what was left of his 1/2 gal. of 100 proof SoCo. You need to go there, grieve, cry, whatever you need to do, but you need to go there.

I often wonder what he would reccomend about repairs, etc.

After I shoot a deer w/ his rifle [3 so far] I tell him here is another one for his pet .270.

Now I have to go b/4 my cube mates wonder why I'm crying on my lunchbreak.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sorry for the loss of your Dad. I went through thesame thing about 6 years ago when my Uncle died. What I realized though was when I got to camp, I knew my Uncle was with me. Have felt his presence there ever time I go to camp. I think you will experience the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page