Another heating question!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Another heating question!!

I'm getting ready to replace my current camp with a 14X28 that will have an open ceiling concept. The trusses will be insulated and will either have sheetrock, luan or OSB covering. The distance from the peak to the floor is approx. 10.5 feet. My question is will baseboard heat work? Will ventless propane wall units be better? You guys that have open ceiling concepts, what heating source do you use? I'm just worried about heat loss and dead spots.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Another heating question!!

It doesn't matter what kind of heat you use, an open ceiling is going to be harder to heat. All the heat is going to rise to the ceiling. It looks great though and it's a cabin, so it's not like you're going to live there. It's going to cost you some extra bucks in heating with an open ceiling, no question about that. Ours is a modified A-frame or swiss chalet type with the open ceiling being probably 25 feet high. We use a propane wall unit and a wood fireplace. The propane unit is in the kitchen/dining room area with the loft floor above it so that part of the cabin is pretty easy to keep warm. The front of the cabin, where the open ceiling is is always cooler. Fortunately the heat goes up to the loft which makes it nice for sleeping.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 02:30 PM

mongoose,
Big Dan is correct but I have one thing to add, I heat with a natual Gas Fire places, and one electric fire place in the master bed room
we have over head fans in every room of my open cathedral
Ceiling log cabin, the fans make all the difference in my place, keeps both the heat and air conditioning costs way down and the place is always cozy.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Pine Creek, thanks for the pics and ideas. By looking at the pics it seems that your ceiling rafters are not insulated....is that the case or is there something above the trusses I don't see? Just curious.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 AM
Part of the Community

Mongoose, I have a similar cabin ( 14 x 20) with a vaulted insulated ceiling. I use A ventless propane wall heater to heat it. It works fine. I have a small loft that we use for storage and an extra bed. When using heat in the winter, the loft is usually 5 degrees warmer than the floor. A ceiling fan would help with the difference.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...inpics0082.jpg
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...binpics010.jpg
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Mongoose,
See your private mail, I left you a message about the insulation and how we engineered the building.
I did the engineering on the mountain home with all the newest technology available, the roof is double layered engineering, with Synthetic/steel life time roofing and
Tyvek roll between the conventional roofing and the new Synthitic/steel roof, the engineering works perfect and keeps the electric and gas cost to a bare minimum year around.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page