Camp Security - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Camp Security

Ladies & gentlemen,
For those members who were interested in the sucurity packages with the video cameras that can be monitored from your PC world wide, I do have an up date. The Systems do work very very well, however make sure when purchasing you
invest in one that is 64 Bit compatable. Most newer Security packages are, however some older modes run on the 32 Bit package and this will cause problems. Only invest in the newer models and make sure of what you are purchasing. I recommend the professional Systems that are equipped with remote wireless cameras. Our place is now fully protected with such a Security System and it works fantastic.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM

Re: Camp Security

good advice, ty
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

any suggestions on where to get a system. i have been contemplating a system i can remotely view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 PM

Remote camera monitoring is only as good as the remote shotgun you are allowed to control, and fire on the remote intruders.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Sage

Wireless cameras would be great, but, what kind of power source do they use?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,
1st if you are trying to acquire a security system, Sams
has different ones that are pretty darn good, and you can use their zero finance program that comes up each year to purchase one without interest. You must have Electricity in your camp to run this equipment. I also have Blue Ridge cable, my log cabin functions all year around, with electric, gas and cable, we also have a complete generator back up system for emergencies. I am here at the log cabin at least 8-9 months a year and when I travel to Grouse hunt or fly fish I monitor my place world wide from the computer.
It works out very very well. Our entire property is monitored by the security system, via my PC 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Part of the Community

I've been following this forum for a few months now, and, not being from PA, have really noticed what seems like an unusually high percentage of burglaries and vandalism of hunting camps amongst the members. My family has cottages in the Poconos, but doesn't keep anything of value in them because a rash of break-ins in the '70s cleaned out most of the antique furniture original to many of the local cottages. Thankfully, we haven't had to take any special precautions beyond not leaving valuables between Summers in my lifetime, but I know that isn't feasible for many of the hunters and their shared camps. I think I might be able to assist anyone looking for technical solutions to security problems at their camps. I have quite a bit of experience doing this same type of thing in a number of developing nations where conditions are primitive, but threats are real. The IP-based cameras already mentioned are a great option, as they are the most thorough with near-real time video, but there are some shortcomings in that you have to be monitoring it to know when someone is present and when to notify law enforcement, have to have high-bandwidth internet at the location, and leave expensive equipment at the site (routers, cameras, computers, etc.). An alternative, that may work for more of the primitive camps is a GSM-based intrusion detection system (IDS) that will use a passive infrared (PIR) sensor, like in a home security system, which when tripped would send a text (SMS) message to a list of designated cell-phones from the pre-paid (or contract) SIM card in the IDS. If notification of a breach into your camp is insufficient, it can be built to send a media message (MMS) with a still photo of what it sees when it is set off. These types of systems can be run with A/C power directly, or a battery pack and relay can be built that has very little draw, but will wake the IDS when the PIR is triggered, then put it back to sleep after sending the SMS/MMS. There are commercial off the shelf (COTS) systems like I described available ( http://www.gsmalarmsystem.com/gsmala...larm%20Systems or http://www.amazon.com/Bolyguard-MG58.../dp/B007WNLPPW ), or better ones can be custom built for less cost and more, tailored capability. The real key is the pre-paid SIM card that doesn't have minutes that expire over time, and whether to use this device openly as a deterrent or concealed to ensure survival and continuous evidence gathering prior to police intervention. PIRs, IR trip wires, magnetic contacts on doors/windows, change detection software, etc., can all be used to trigger the SMS/MMS either as indoor or outdoor security, limited only by imagination and technical skill.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

LakeMy444,
Absolutely correct, great sensor security infomation
at a small cost to the user. My buddy Dean has this kind of Sensor package rigged to his front gates, works very well.
My securiy package has the auto warning system the computer only needs to be on to report intrusions, it works well for me, again the higher the quality of the security package, the more it is able to due. In combination with the other sensor type packages it does work very well. Your advise is right on the money!
Let me make this clear we have never had any problems with
break ins here in our area, however up around Westfield
it is definitely a big problem. We installed the security package this last year to hopefully avoid having any problems.

Pine Creek/Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page