Help with pond pump - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Help with pond pump

We have a small( 30'dia) pond that was created many years ago by berming the downhill side of a hill to catch water coming out of a hillside spring, I suspect it was used to water cows and horses. We would like to pump water up to the camper for non potable use. Fire safety, yearly camper washing, filling weed sprayers and such. We now bring water from home for drinking and cooking to add to the camper water tank and that works well. I now have a mesh screen around the intake hose to filter the big stuff but what else can I use to filter the water so it does not clog the sprayers and fire pumps? I thought of the inline filters but that seems designed for drinking water and may clog fast. Is there any filters or home made device to filter pond scum ?

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Re: Help with pond pump

Check with a pond supplier in your area (Not an outfit like Lowes, somebody that really knows stuff). They may be able to recommend a filter of some sort made of an open cell foam or similar material. Keep in mind that no filter is maintanance free.

MAGA 2020
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Check out this site... they might have what you are looking for...http://www.kenscattails.com/ They are located in the area of the Bloomsburg Mall...

4C

**** GO Pack GO ****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Been checking pond suppliers and those pump filters seem to be for recirc use or aeration. Found a site in UK by accident and they have a filter in a box on the intake hose meant for trash pumps. Unfortunately price is in euros and specs for liters per minutes. Don't think I want to pay the shipping. At least I know they are out there,keep looking

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Check out Rain Pro filters at www.rainproco.com/rainpro/pdf%202/lake%20pump.pdf they may be what you have in mind. Mcmaster- Carr and Grainger will have similar products. I haul water out of my pond to top off my pool when needed. I pump the water into 325 gal plastic tanks,adding 1lb of chlorine shock to each as it fills. Once at the pool I connect the water tank directly to my earth filter and pump it into the pool. This results in clear, sanitized water entering the pool. I make sure the pump is suspended well above the pond bottom to avoid disturbing the sediment. perhaps a used earth or sand filter could be modified to fit your needs.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are floating inlets that are made to close when the water level is low enough that sludge could be pulled up into the pump...looked kinda' like a metal box floating in an innertube.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager
Been checking pond suppliers and those pump filters seem to be for recirc use or aeration. Found a site in UK by accident and they have a filter in a box on the intake hose meant for trash pumps. Unfortunately price is in euros and specs for liters per minutes. Don't think I want to pay the shipping. At least I know they are out there,keep looking
Okay, look at the supreme "Pondmaster 1000" filter. I've used that unit with pumps up to 750 gpm. If you feel that you need to move more water than that go with the "2000".
Either unit has a grate inside that the filter material sits on and a top grate to hold it all together.
Replacement filter material is available at reasonable prices, but the material is reusable if you care to take the time to hose it clean.
For greater capacity you can pick up a few common fittings at Lowes and tee them to run as many multiple units as you'd like.
Set the unit on a concrete block to keep it off the bottom and out of the muck, and put a rock on top to keep it submerged, them plumb it to your pump and you're good to go.
Here's a page that shows the filters with pumps.

http://www.pondmaster.com/store/prod....aspx?pageno=3

This page shows available filter materials;

http://www.pondmaster.com/store/prod....aspx?pageno=6
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks DIYASUB. I was looking at something similar. but the rating is for gph not gpm. 3/4 inch intake is way too small. I have an 1 1/2 intake, will have to check the pump capacity. I think I could also roll the filter pads into a course perforated strainer "can". Now you see all the variables involved here, sounds simple but... plus I'm cheap and like testing the old yankee inginuity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page