Woodsplitter problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C
Woodsplitter problems

Dave, Larry, and I went to camp on Tuesday with the idea of splitting our firewood for the coming year, but for some reason we couldn't get the woodsplitter to keep running. It would start and then immediately shut off as though it was either not getting enough gas or the on-off switch was shutting off. I will try to get it fixed sometime in the next month or so. What really frazzles me is that I spent $150 getting the motor fixed last fall.

On the subject of "Would you trade this W 1 FE unit in for a new model?" Yesterday, while I was grousing about this woodsplitter problem, she said, "Well, if you have to, just buy a new one." You don't replace one like Doris at WalMart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM

Re: Woodsplitter problems

Try a new fuel filter and/or lean the carb out. It's probably either got water in the gas from sitting all winter or the carb is gummed up. Did you run stabilizer through it when you put it away for the winter? Run it out of gas then too?

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM

Does it have a low oil shut off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

It did have stabilizer in the fuel, but it did sit all winter without being run. I suspect that we have gummed the carb or possibly the fuel filter. What I may do when I return to the camp is to drain all fuel out, squirt some gumout into the carb and gasline leading to the carb, and then pull the starter cord to get the stuff into the system. If it still doesn't run after that and new gas, I will probably take it to a repair shop. I'm not a small engine mechanic and know little about how to fix them.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

This I don't know, but the oil was changed last fall, so it should not be low.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Try Seafoam instead of gumout

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
New Arrival

Sounds like the needle valve is sticking pull the bowl and check it out.The also sell carb cleaner in a gallon can with a basket inside that you could put the whole carb in over night to clean it up.

one shot meat two shots maybe meat three shots no meat
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Sage

Any of the aforementioned fuel problems are possible.

And it could also be a sporadic short in the ignition; loose connection, etc. It probably doesn't have an automatic fuel shut off on the carb, but if it does, check the circut for a short.

One of my lawn tractors used to run fine, stumble now and then, run fine again, then it would often just quit. Eventually figured out that the wire to the automatic fuel shut off was rubbing on the engine and shorting out from time to time, cutting off fuel to the carb.

Repaired and relocated the wire, no problems since.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM

The first thing that I would check is whether it will run with the fuel tank cap removed. The small vent hole in those caps will often get dirty/plugged with the result being exactly what you are experiencing ... runs a minute or so and then quits.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Sage

All small engines are being subjected to problems with this methane mix in the gas, it contains water, my neighbor has a lawn mower repair shop . The first thing he does is remove the carb and usually replace it and seems to solve the problem almost 100% of the time......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page